Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fairly new to this boating thing - just got my boat this past summer and decided it was time to give a little love to my motor. Only problem is that I'm (was) clueless about outboard motors. So I got with forum member boatbrains to show me the ropes. We did a pretty thorough going over of the motor - spark plugs, gear oil, water pump, engine oil, thermostat, fuel filter. There were no problems with the motor, but everything we touched definitely needed changing. Also did some other inspections - removed the prop and checked for wrapped up fishing line, adjusted the idle a little bit, and removed a old broken off impeller wing from a water line!

If you're new to boating like me, I would thoroughly recommend that you try to learn some of the maintenance that you can on your own motor. It sort of helps make it feel like it's yours, and it's a big confidence boost. Plus it was actually pretty fun.

Thanks, Boatbrains, for sharing some of your knowledge with me and my son. You're absolutely an asset to this forum and our community.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Good on you Boatbrains for helping a brother out! And good on you paulrad for taking the initiative to learn from someone who can help. Personally I wouldn't want to be 30+ miles from civilization without having confidence in my equipment and how it works, things can and will fail.

·
Registered
69 Posts
BB,
I have a 96 maverick mirage with a 90HP DFI Yamaha. Runs great, but a little sluggish up to plane. Would you consider using a 4 blade prop for something like this to help. I really don't care about running at Mach 10, so that is not an issue for me.

B

·
0 Posts
BB,
I have a 96 maverick mirage with a 90HP DFI Yamaha. Runs great, but a little sluggish up to plane. Would you consider using a 4 blade prop for something like this to help. I really don't care about running at Mach 10, so that is not an issue for me.
The wrong 4 blade would be just as bad but you probably know that. The best advise I can give on that is to contact someone like Jack Forman, Admiral propeller, etc... and tell them what your needs are. You will need to know engine rpms at wot before most can assist you. I’ve heard Power tech is pretty good with customer service also if you just want a shelf prop.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The wrong 4 blade would be just as bad but you probably know that. The best advise I can give on that is to contact someone like Jack Forman, Admiral propeller, etc... and tell them what your needs are. You will need to know engine rpms at wot before most can assist you. I’ve heard Power tech is pretty good with customer service also if you just want a shelf prop.
Once again...you the man.
Thanks a ton.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,288 Posts
Jack is a Powertech dealer and has designed some of their shelf props. He won’t be shy about telling you a 3 blade can and will give better hole shot than a 4 blade in some cases. It’s a common misconception beat into the public’s brain that three blades are for speed and four blades are for hole shot but that’s not always the case. Sorry for the derail but I believe Boatbrains will concur.

B

·
0 Posts
Jack is a Powertech dealer and has designed some of their shelf props. He won’t be shy about telling you a 3 blade can and will give better hole shot than a 4 blade in some cases. It’s a common misconception beat into the public’s brain that three blades are for speed and four blades are for hole shot but that’s not always the case. Sorry for the derail but I believe Boatbrains will concur.
When it comes to props, I listen to the prop folks in most cases. It almost always ends up cheaper! I just tell them what I have, give them mu data, tell them what I am expecting, and they say this is what you need most of the time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks smackdaddy. You're right about the misconception. Everything I've read says exactly what you stated about speed, hole shot, etc.
I'll give Jack a call. I'll let you guys know what I find out.
Thanks for the help.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,288 Posts
Thanks smackdaddy. You're right about the misconception. Everything I've read says exactly what you stated about speed, hole shot, etc.
I'll give Jack a call. I'll let you guys know what I find out.
Thanks for the help.
If he doesn’t answer the first time be persistent. He’s in his 60’s and doesn’t always pack his phone around. I have his cell phone number if you can’t get the shop.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts