Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking to purchase a used 2015 mitzi 17 next week in the Jacksonville area and wanted to know y'alls thoughts on getting the boat surveyed pre purchase.

From what I can tell, for a legitimate boat surveyor it will be about $350 and the report will be sent out a few days later. As an out of town purchaser that doesn't sound very useful...

I just want someone that knows more about boats than me to give it a look over.

What are your thoughts/alternatives?

·
Registered
254 Posts
What I've done, twice, is have the seller take it to a boat dealer/shop and have the dealer/shop do the annual service on the motor, get compression, and then have them look the boat over and give me their impressions. All on my nickel.

One was long distance as you've described, good pictures beforehand.

The second was a boat I saw in person first.

Both times the deal was that the inspection had to work out before paying the purchase price.

The long distance deal was that I also had to lay eyes on it, do a test drive.

It worked good for me twice.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
338 Posts
There are several good shops in Jax. A lot depends on which side of town and what motor.
I've used Isle of Palms in Green Cove Springs (Yamaha and Mercury) and Becks (Evinrude). There are a few others that are reputable as well. Others from Jax with first hand experience may chime in.

One thing to keep in mind is that the better ones have a backlog so may not be able to get to it in one day. One good thing is that it is September and not April.

Also not sure where the boat is but the Mitzi (Honda) dealer is south of Jax in Palatka. Pretty good guys there too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't' realize there was a Mitzi dealer around Jacksonville. That could be worth checking out. The motor is a Suzuki...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
338 Posts
The Mitzi dealer is Big Boys Play Toys in Palatka. Good guys, good reputation.

There are 2-3 Suzuki dealers in town. One of my friends that is a guide uses Advanced Marine and has said good things about them. They turn him around pretty quickly because they know he's a guide.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts