Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for some boat suggestions. I currently have an older 22ft bay boat that I have to keep stored due to its size and HOA. Goal is to get a smaller boat that will fit into my 3rd car garage spot that’s 20ft deep by 100” wide. Most of my fishing will be central FL lakes near my house. Just want something I can pull out and fish for a few hours and get back home soon. Was originally looking at small aluminum boats like trackers then shifted toward Gheenoe’s but the price and only rated for 2 people has made me look elsewhere. Now I’m leaning toward a poling flats type boat. I like fishing salt although I’m new to it and sight fishing has been fun but the draft on my skeeter limits some spots. Boat would be 80/20 Lakes/Salt most likely. Really looking for something that is CG rated for 4 just in case the entire family wants to go but will usually be 1-2 people fishing sometimes 3 (2 adult 1 child). I’ve been looking at the Ankona/Saltmarsh as they seem to be a good value. Budget is about 20K and want something newish <5 years.

-Needs

Rated for 4 people

Livewell (2 would be nice)

Trolling moter (quick release)

Fit in garage so probably up to 17’ with swing tongue. Can angle in garage if needed but prefer not to.

Front and back deck for casting.

Highly prefer CC with seat in front or cooler.

Just making sure my thinking of a micro skiff is not off and if there are any other brands that I should consider. Which Ankona’s would you suggest? Don’t need a HB or anything. Still have not counted a LT25 out completely but not sure how fishing with 2 adults and 1 child would be. Thanks for any info.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,936 Posts
Just looking for some boat suggestions. I currently have an older 22ft bay boat that I have to keep stored due to its size and HOA. Goal is to get a smaller boat that will fit into my 3rd car garage spot that’s 20ft deep by 100” wide. Most of my fishing will be central FL lakes near my house. Just want something I can pull out and fish for a few hours and get back home soon. Was originally looking at small aluminum boats like trackers then shifted toward Gheenoe’s but the price and only rated for 2 people has made me look elsewhere. Now I’m leaning toward a poling flats type boat. I like fishing salt although I’m new to it and sight fishing has been fun but the draft on my skeeter limits some spots. Boat would be 80/20 Lakes/Salt most likely. Really looking for something that is CG rated for 4 just in case the entire family wants to go but will usually be 1-2 people fishing sometimes 3 (2 adult 1 child). I’ve been looking at the Ankona/Saltmarsh as they seem to be a good value. Budget is about 20K and want something newish <5 years.

-Needs

Rated for 4 people

Livewell (2 would be nice)

Trolling moter (quick release)

Fit in garage so probably up to 17’ with swing tongue. Can angle in garage if needed but prefer not to.

Front and back deck for casting.

Highly prefer CC with seat in front or cooler.

Just making sure my thinking of a micro skiff is not off and if there are any other brands that I should consider. Which Ankona’s would you suggest? Don’t need a HB or anything. Still have not counted a LT25 out completely but not sure how fishing with 2 adults and 1 child would be. Thanks for any info.
Just immediately looking at your needs, the Salt Marsh Heron 16, Salt Marsh 1656, the Copperhead, Cayenne or Native SUV are models that looks like they could check your boxes. Shoot me a text and I can get you pricing, pics, or answer any questions you may have. 863-860-7250

·
Registered
3 Posts
@Shadowcast I am set on buying a skiff within next year. From Ankona, I have primarily looked at the advent 18' and SUV 17'.

Looking for a hull that does a reasonably good job of poling, but something that has a slight v / can handle runs across open water. Most of my fishing is done in South Louisiana on the fly sight casting and MS/AL gulf coast running the beaches when conditions allow. Mostly will fish 2 people with occasional 3rd. Any insight?

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,936 Posts
@Shadowcast
Looking for a hull that does a reasonably good job of poling, but something that has a slight v / can handle runs across open water. Most of my fishing is done in South Louisiana on the fly sight casting and MS/AL gulf coast running the beaches when conditions allow. Mostly will fish 2 people with occasional 3rd. Any insight?
You want to look at the Advent or the Heron 16. Both are skiffs that can take a chop and are excellent poling skiffs. If you are primarily a fly guy then livewell capacity is probably not a major concern for you. The Advent has only a 10 gallon well compared to the 20+ gallon well the Heron 16 boasts. Besides that the two are comparable with the Heron offering a wider beam and shorter LOA which equates to a heightened degree of stability....along with the larger livewell/dry storage. Let me know if you have any more questions or would like to see pics of options or pricing. Feel free to text me 863-860-7250

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just immediately looking at your needs, the Salt Marsh Heron 16, Salt Marsh 1656, the Copperhead, Cayenne or Native SUV are models that looks like they could check your boxes. Shoot me a text and I can get you pricing, pics, or answer any questions you may have. 863-860-7250
Okay I'll look over those and get a list of questions together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts