Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2020 LT25 25HP TOHATSU
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any boat ramps close to the Manatee Drive area in St.James City or Dobbs preserve area ( which is what a top spot map) is calling it, but I don’t see a Dobbs preserve on Google earth.Looks like quite a clip from the Monroe canal marina up to what appears to be the only canal serving Manatee Drive which is where we’re staying, thx if anybody is familiar sure would appreciate any info.

·
Registered
2020 LT25 25HP TOHATSU
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the official boat ramp finder for our state - and every time I've checked down in my area (south Florida) it's been accurate...
Are there any boat ramps close to the Manatee Drive area in St.James City or Dobbs preserve area ( which is what a top spot map) is calling it, but I don’t see a Dobbs preserve on Google earth.Looks like quite a clip from the Monroe canal marina up to what appears to be the only canal serving Manatee Drive which is where we’re staying, thx if anybody is familiar sure would appreciate any info.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
What size boat? Matlacha Park will be a better choice. It will be about a 30 minute run if your skiff will run atleast 25 mph. Monroe canal is gonna be an hour easy as the canal will be atleast 30 minutes them you gotta go around the tip of St James. Major boat traffic as well so it can get choppy. Tropical point has an improvised boat launch small craft gheenoe johnboat type ramp but no parking area but its really close to where you are staying.

·
Registered
658 Posts
They have there own ramp I believe but it’s for residents only. Maybe someone there will help you out?

·
Registered
658 Posts
And if the weather is really crappy you can go north on Monroe canal and go under the bridge to come out in Matlacha pass off St James creek.

·
Registered
207 Posts
They have there own ramp I believe but it’s for residents only. Maybe someone there will help you out?
Ben is correct, they do have their own ramp. We were considering a house off Manatee before buying in SJC. I would contact whoever you are renting from / staying with and ask how to get access to ramp.

·
Registered
207 Posts
And if the weather is really crappy you can go north on Monroe canal and go under the bridge to come out in Matlacha pass off St James creek.
Long slow ride!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Long slow ride!
I found that out the hard way. Launched at Matlacha and ran up to fish Bokeelia with my daughter. Then she asked if we could go to Low Key Tiki for lunch. Had enough gas and said what the hell. About 2 miles south of Pineland the winds decided to kick up from the south. Boy she wasn’t too excited after that ride but we made it. That long ride through the canal felt like a blessing.

·
Registered
2020 LT25 25HP TOHATSU
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Buffalo Bob and Ben thank you so much your info is very helpful. I’ll be in lo tide 25 BUT! I’m a novice and want to have my I’s dotted and t’s crossed as much as possible to be safe specially in an unfamiliar area thank you both take care guys.
JR

·
Registered
2020 LT25 25HP TOHATSU
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What size boat? Matlacha Park will be a better choice. It will be about a 30 minute run if your skiff will run atleast 25 mph. Monroe canal is gonna be an hour easy as the canal will be atleast 30 minutes them you gotta go around the tip of St James. Major boat traffic as well so it can get choppy. Tropical point has an improvised boat launch small craft gheenoe johnboat type ramp but no parking area but its really close to where you are staying.

·
Registered
2020 LT25 25HP TOHATSU
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you backcountry 16 very nice of you to reply I will certainly listen to your advice I’ll be taking my LT25 w/ a 25hp Tahatsu but I’m brand new at this buddy not fishing lol been doing that all my life but the gheenoe thingy is new to me and I’m not a proud dummy so Yeap I’m learning and take in all the info you guys provide thx again JR

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thank you backcountry 16 very nice of you to reply I will certainly listen to your advice I’ll be taking my LT25 w/ a 25hp Tahatsu but I’m brand new at this buddy not fishing lol been doing that all my life but the gheenoe thingy is new to me and I’m not a proud dummy so Yeap I’m learning and take in all the info you guys provide thx again JR
Sheepherder -- since you have Gheenoe, you will be able to put in off Tropical Point Rd. (Tropical Point is just before you get to Manatee on same side of Stringfellow Rd.) Last street to Right before TP dead ends @ Matlacha Pass there is a small launch area which in the past has accommodated very small boats such as you have. There used to be a vacant lot cleared just south of the launch point people used for parking. Not sure who owns lot or launch area, etc. but public uses it. You might check it out. You can access Matlacha Pass easily from this launch site. I have not driven back TP this year but presume all is still same as in past.

·
Registered
2020 LT25 25HP TOHATSU
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thank you I’ve seen that location on google earth it’s kinda hard to tell on the computer if it will accommodate my gheenoe but I’ll surely look at it. I saw on google earth where there is as the other fellow posted a pvt Manatee drive launch for its residents don’t know if they’ll allow a vacationer to use it? I’m willing to pay but sometimes HOAs and so forth are kinda touchy I get it I live up here in a gated community and the get kinda outrageous sometimes but hey! Lol what can you do. Thank you though I will certainly look at TP launch take care. JR

·
Registered
2020 LT25 25HP TOHATSU
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found that out the hard way. Launched at Matlacha and ran up to fish Bokeelia with my daughter. Then she asked if we could go to Low Key Tiki for lunch. Had enough gas and said what the hell. About 2 miles south of Pineland the winds decided to kick up from the south. Boy she wasn’t too excited after that ride but we made it. That long ride through the canal felt like a blessing.

·
Registered
2020 LT25 25HP TOHATSU
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Ben, WOW! I just saw on the map where you were at fishing and the low key tiki restaurant lol lol now that’s a journey, what type of skiff were you in ? You probably know that area like the back of your hand lol I’d be scared out of my mind to try that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts