Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What precautions do you take when pulling up the anchor to prevent it from hitting the side of the boat? With some spots being a little rough than usual and a bit sketchy to hang off the side of the boat to pull it up makes me wonder if there's some kind of guard or pad to put over the side as a bumper just in case.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
584 Posts
While someone pulls it up I will put it in reverse as it’s getting close the the surface so the anchor will be pulled away from the side of the boat.
If that makes sense..

·
Registered
994 Posts
I step up on the bow and extend my arm. The wind and / or current will be pushing the boat away from the anchor. When the 4' chain (you DO use a chain, don't you?) gets to the surface, you know it's time to extend that arm. It's a little easier for me since I ditched the 12 pound galvanized Danforth and replaced it with a 4 pound (same size) aluminum Danforth. One thing about getting vintage: You learn to look for shortcuts and easier ways.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
None really. Just control it. Slide hand down chain closer to anchor as chain breaks surface and lift it straight up, no more over the rub rail. Never been an issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts