Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bow rigged boat 14’ skiff. Had a 2 stroke 40 merc. No issues with it but decided to replace with a 4 stroke. Recently repowered to a 30hp Suzuki and it has trouble getting on plane. (Both shaft lengths 20”) The Suzuki does about 10-12mph WOT, but when I hit shallow water it hops onto a plane and I do 20mph as long as I stay shallow. It’s not a tunnel. Doesn’t have a hydrofin or stabilizer so maybe that would help? I’ve tried adjusting the tilt and trim while running and doesn’t seem to matter. Currently has stock prop. Running load is usually two 150qt coolers, with about 50lbs of ice. 10gallons gas, and myself. Has some foam in the back, so maybe cut that out?

already spoke with another forum member and he suggested a transport cp50. Looking to see if anyone else has input.

Pic of the boat before the Suzuki went on.

Attachments

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2021 HB Professional Tunnel
586 Posts
You got bad gas, have you tried a different tank? My 30 zuki did this before.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
It would help to have a photo of your transom with the motor down so we can see where the cavitation plate is in relation to the bottom of that skiff... Lastly... two 150 qt coolers? I've worked out of cockpits on sportfishers up to 54' and never had one cooler that big....

·
I Love microskiff.com!
Sharp Hooks Matter
585 Posts
2 stroke to 4 stroke = likely increased weight
What about RPMs with new motor versus the old motor?
Time it takes to get to top RMP?
Lots of possible things going on...

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You got bad gas, have you tried a different tank? My 30 zuki did this before.
have run about 5 tanks of gas through it. So maybe it’s the tank itself?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2 stroke to 4 stroke = likely increased weight
What about RPMs with new motor versus the old motor?
Time it takes to get to top RMP?
Lots of possible things going on...
actually this 4 stroke is about 10lbs lighter. Don’t have a tach to tell exact Rpms. The other odd thing is that it sounds like it runs harder in shallow water, almost like prop is getting more bite.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It would help to have a photo of your transom with the motor down so we can see where the cavitation plate is in relation to the bottom of that skiff... Lastly... two 150 qt coolers? I've worked out of cockpits on sportfishers up to 54' and never had one cooler that big....
interesting. Sport fishers also have built in coolers, and I have to have space to put all these fish.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well you cut out 10hp and added weight... I would think that's the problem? Maybe I'm wrong..
You might be able to fix the issue by messing with the prop. Possibly a 4 blade.
What peak rpms are you getting? I don't understand the shallow water performance unless your digging in the bottom just right and it's acting like trim tabs lol.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Way too low
Well you cut out 10hp and added weight... I would think that's the problem? Maybe I'm wrong..
You might be able to fix the issue by messing with the prop. Possibly a 4 blade.
What peak rpms are you getting? I don't understand the shallow water performance unless your digging in the bottom just right and it's acting like trim tabs lol.
no weight added. Lost 10lbs with a lighter motor. Appreciate the input. Considered a new prop but think it’s something else.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think you need to move the motor up on the transom 2 or 3 inches. Should be easy enough to try.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Please, one more photo of that transom… This time with a clean straight edge on the bottom of the hull right next to your lower unit. That motor sure looks like it’s mounted too low. A straight edge will show that very clearly…

1 - 20 of 31 Posts