Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 21 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Looking at picking up a boat this week. Was wondering if anyone has experienced the title process during the past few weeks?
i imagine its delayed or not possible to file the forms during these times, however i am unsure. I usually use a title agency, they are currently closed.

And no, i dont plan on using it or being reckless during the pandemic, just happened to stumble on a great deal and i cant pass. Cant have a boat in my front yard without tags.

location is florida

Thanks

Registered
You can run your boat with the title of the boat or the sales contract from your banki f you're in Florida for at least a few weeks without registration unless they've changed the law in the last 2 years I picked up a boat on a friday brand new and fished it all weekend until I could get to the dmv.

Registered
Vessels must be registered and numbered within 30 days of purchase.

https://myfwc.com/boating/regulations/

Hi,
Looking at picking up a boat this week. Was wondering if anyone has experienced the title process during the past few weeks?
i imagine its delayed or not possible to file the forms during these times, however i am unsure. I usually use a title agency, they are currently closed.

And no, i dont plan on using it or being reckless during the pandemic, just happened to stumble on a great deal and i cant pass. Cant have a boat in my front yard without tags.

location is florida

Thanks

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Vessels must be registered and numbered within 30 days of purchase.

https://myfwc.com/boating/regulations/

I鈥檓 familiar with the regs, just curious if anyone has tried to get a title during these last few weeks during the 鈥渟hutdown鈥, and what delays they experienced if any? I usually have a tag agency handle this for me. Will be needing a title transfer and new registration for boat and trailer

this is for a private sale purchase.

Registered
Yeah I have. I picked up my boat on March 27th. Did everything on line that day. Ran the boat the next day numberless but with the bill of sale and the on line registration on the boat. I did not get pulled over though. I got the registration in the mail about a week later.

Registered
BTW, they are all very aware that the tag agencies are closed. In Destin, the city ramps require a fee or a decal on the trailer that shows you are a Destin resident to launch on the city ramps. But because the offices are closed, all you have to do is show you license to prove you are in the city. What is funny is the city offices are closed but the attendants are still working the ramps. So I asked the guy about it and he said, they told him they didn't have to come to work but they wanted to. Because both of them are old retired guys and who are they going to yell at all the time if they stayed home.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I have. I picked up my boat on March 27th. Did everything on line that day. Ran the boat the next day numberless but with the bill of sale and the on line registration on the boat. I did not get pulled over though. I got the registration in the mail about a week later.
did you do title transfer as well?

Registered
I just sold a boat last week and I'm picking up a new one tomorrow. The one I sold will need a title transfer, which I think I can only do at a DMV or tag agency, but I could be wrong. I bought the boat and never transferred the title, then sold it last week. When I bought it, the seller put my name on the title as the buyer, otherwise I wouldn't have to transfer it into my name.

I'm curious to see how this works out on the new boat.

Registered
did you do title transfer as well?
I did on the boat that I sold. I went on to the website and requested the printed title. They mailed it to be and I mailed it out to the buyer in SC. The boat that I bought was new so I didn't have to transfer title.

Registered
I just sold a boat last week and I'm picking up a new one tomorrow. The one I sold will need a title transfer, which I think I can only do at a DMV or tag agency, but I could be wrong. I bought the boat and never transferred the title, then sold it last week. When I bought it, the seller put my name on the title as the buyer, otherwise I wouldn't have to transfer it into my name.

I'm curious to see how this works out on the new boat.
The tag offices in Florida are all closed, so you will have to do it all online.

Registered
Reactions: Bigbugin

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
@Padre Can you do a title transfer online? If so, that would solve some issues for me.
same.

Buying a boat from a private seller. His name is obviously on the title, need to get it put into my name so i can register it. Not sure of the process without using a tag agency.
Stuck in limbo at the moment

Forgotten Coaster
Not sure about other states, but in Florida you don't have to register for 30 days if you have a bill of sale. Hopefully things will be getting back to normal by then.

Registered
It
Yeah, I am assuming that carrying a bill of sale will get you out of most stops from FWC right now.
It will. Like others said, in FL, you have 30 days under normal circumstances to register the vessel. If this goes past 30 days, I would think they would make provision for that.

Registered
^agree
It

It will. Like others said, in FL, you have 30 days under normal circumstances to register the vessel. If this goes past 30 days, I would think they would make provision for that.

Registered
G3 16 CCJ
I may be in a similar situation, with the complication that I live in Florida and am considering purchasing a boat in Pennsylvania. Even if I commit to the purchase in the next few weeks, it's agreed that I won't be picking up the boat (or having the boat picked up by someone else) until after the "stay at home" orders have been lifted, at least partially. I'm assuming that once the transaction is done remotely with the dealer in PA, I'll get the paperwork, register it in Florida, and I can insure it and have it legally on the road for the long drive to Florida. I've been assuming that if the trailer isn't tagged that it can't be on the road across all those states. I haven't yet contacted the insurance company to see what's the minimum paperwork required to get the boat insured before it goes on the road.

1 - 21 of 23 Posts