Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First boat should be finished up soon (Gheenoe LT 10 w/ 20 HP Tiller) and I'm wondering what maintenance should I be doing on it (motor, boat, trailer) as I have absolutely no experience taking care of anything other than a kayak/canoe. What preventative maintenance and care do I need to do each time I go out and return and then also what on a monthly, quarterly, annual, etc basis needs to be done? What maintenance products should I invest in and keep with me? Any tips or helpful reminders? I'm a total greenhorn so if it seems too basic, it likely wont be for me and a good checklist is always helpful. I want to spend as less money as possible on repairs and keep it in good shape!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
#1 preventative maintenance measure is to not let it sit up for any length of time and store in side if possible. Boats out in the weather and ones that go unused are the ones with issues.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Boat. Wash, dry and vac out standing water everywhere you find it. Trailer. Check and grease hubs many times a year. I like to jack mine up often and spin wheels and check for loose or tight bearings. Check all bolts often, especially before and after long trips. Motor. Wash and flush after use. Read manual and follow. Best advice is simply the more you keep eyes and hands on all three. Problems will be minimal and fixed easily or before complete failure. I leave more details out for others to add.

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,415 Posts
Capnredfish offered several great suggestions. I'll add a few...

A coat of good marine wax at least annually will help reduce cleaning and protect the gel coat.

Follow the manufacturer's recommendation on servicing the outboard. Not hard to do most yourself or have it done by certified technicians (winter months are always slower with a faster turnaround). When you first get it remove the cowling and spray down with a good corrosion-block spray.

Replace the fuel/water separating filter (10 micron) at least twice a year. And run only ethanol-free fuel, if possible. Pull the prop periodically, check for fishing line on the spline and apply a generous coat of marine grease on the spline before re-installing the prop. Check the batteries for fluid, if applicable. Many, but not all, are now sealed. Keep the battery contacts clean and tight.

Check the trailer tire pressure (don't forget the spare) often. Same for the bow strap and tie-downs for rot and integrity.

I also use small pieces of PVC tubing to prop open my hatches between trips to allow air to circulate and prevent mildew.

Enjoy the new ride!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the responses!

So currently I have this stab at a maintenance list and questions attached...feel free to chime in or correct anything where there are question marks!

Trailer
Each outing:
  • Tire pressure
  • Wash down (Pressure washer or no pressure washer???)

Quarterly:
  • Grease hubs (which grease and what applicator??)
  • Check bolts
  • Check bow straps

Boat
Upon Purchase:
  • Spray down with a good corrosion-block spray (Brand??)

Each Outing:
  • Wash down and dry
  • Leave hatches open
  • Clean battery

Annually:
  • Wax (brand and best way to apply???)

Motor
Each outing:
  • Wash (Just the outside and cowling or should you ever remove the cowling when washing???)
  • Flush (Flush muffs, a manufacturer hose attachment, trash can etc???)
  • Ethanol free gas (do you leave it in when done or drain out??)
  • Check the prop for fishing line (does prop need to be removed for this??)

Quarterly:
  • Grease prop spline
Biannual:
  • Replace fuel/water separator filter
Annual:
What exactly does winterizing entail??

...Manufactures servicing (what does this normally include...oil changes, etc??)

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,235 Posts

So currently I have this stab at a maintenance list and questions attached...feel free to chime in or correct anything where there are question marks!

Trailer
Each outing:
  • Tire pressure
  • Wash down (Pressure washer or no pressure washer???) Hose with a spray nozzle is fine. Make sure you rinse inside wheel and spray off hubs.

Quarterly:
  • Grease hubs (which grease and what applicator??) Any good axle grease
  • Check bolts Put a light coat of anti seize on lug nuts
  • Check bow straps
  • With the boat off the trailer and after you have rinsed it and let it dry, spray the leaf springs or torsion axles down with a good coat of CorrossionX HD or LPS3.

Boat
Upon Purchase:
  • Spray down with a good corrosion-block spray (Brand??) Spray the electrical terminals with CorrosionX. Give the boat a really good hand wash inside and out. Put on a really good coat of wax on the hull and inside hatches. If you have a livewell, rinse it really well. Soap residue is a bait killer.

Each Outing:
  • Wash down and dry
  • Leave hatches open
  • Clean battery Unless your battery is out in the open, just keep it charged

Annually:
  • Wax (brand and best way to apply???) Wax at least twice a year. I use a boat soap/wax combo for regular washes, about once a month unless we get a little sporty then it is right after the trip. The wax gets in around screw heads and hatch hinges to help prevent that edge corrosion.

Motor
Each outing:
  • Wash (Just the outside and cowling or should you ever remove the cowling when washing???) Leave the cowling on. Wash and dry
  • Flush (Flush muffs, a manufacturer hose attachment, trash can etc???) flush with hose port and do not run the engine while using hose port. Only run with muffs.
  • Ethanol free gas (do you leave it in when done or drain out??) Get whatever gas you want and add fuel stabilizer. Just don't mix E0 and E10
  • Check the prop for fishing line (does prop need to be removed for this??) You'll know if it is wrapped up with line.

Quarterly:
  • Grease prop shaft any good marine grease
Biannual:
  • Replace fuel/water separator filter I change my filters (fuel, fuel/water, oil) when I do my annual service. Date your filter with a Sharpie
Annual:
What exactly does winterizing entail?? I fish all year long so I have no idea

...Manufactures servicing (what does this normally include...oil changes, etc??) Engine oil, lower unit fluid, water pump any misc stuff the mechanic finds

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That’s perfect. It won’t have a live well and will likely not have any electronics except for an auto bilge pump and cranking battery for the engine. Anything that you would add or that sums it up for maintenance? Also, what about when operating in freshwater? And I’ve heard it recommended to wear boat shoes (crocs, etc) to keep from scuffing the inside with gravel...any other tips like this.

·
Registered
459 Posts

Trailer
Each outing:
  • Tire pressure
  • Wash down (Pressure washer or no pressure washer???)

Quarterly:
  • Grease hubs (which grease and what applicator??)
  • Check bolts
  • Check bow straps

Boat
Upon Purchase:
  • Spray down with a good corrosion-block spray (Brand??)

Each Outing:
  • Wash down and dry
  • Leave hatches open
  • Clean battery

Annually:
  • Wax (brand and best way to apply???)

Motor
Each outing:
  • Wash (Just the outside and cowling or should you ever remove the cowling when washing???)
  • Flush (Flush muffs, a manufacturer hose attachment, trash can etc???)
  • Ethanol free gas (do you leave it in when done or drain out??)
  • Check the prop for fishing line (does prop need to be removed for this??)

Quarterly:
  • Grease prop spline
Biannual:
  • Replace fuel/water separator filter
Annual:
What exactly does winterizing entail??

...Manufactures servicing (what does this normally include...oil changes, etc??)
Personally I use the Bearing Buddy type of grease supply for each hub on the trailer. I fill it before I take the boat out and after retrieving the boat I fill it again. The more grease, the less salt water. Only so much room in the hubs. The less salt water the longer bearings last. Use a water resistant grease. Grease is (comparatively) cheap.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
694 Posts
Feel your hubs after each trip. Hot to touch hubs indicate that failure is imminent. Replace ASAP. This will save you from having to change your hubs on the side of the highway.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I think it comes with a standard continental trailer. Probably leafs right?
Most likely. It's a somewhat easy upgrade, I just finished mine up for my trailer and it 1000x better. I also lowered my trailer close to 8" so dry launching is very manageable now.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
394 Posts
The biggest thing is keeping out of the weather having it parked inside is key. If inside is not an option at least out of the sun that will help!

·
Registered
576 Posts
We wax ours every 4 months but it sits on a lift outside.

Every three months I spray Fluid Film on every electrical connector in the boat. I also spray underneath the cowl and every stainless steel item on the boat. I also put a small dab of fresh dielectric grease on any plugs such as my TM plug.

Once a year I perform a visual inspection on every thru-hull on the boat including hoses for cracks and such.

I do not leave open hatches due to rain since mine sits outside. I do open them up from time to time for a few hours when it is clear every month or so. I also don't leave anything in them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The biggest thing is keeping out of the weather having it parked inside is key. If inside is not an option at least out of the sun that will help!
I have the underside of a stilted house with fencing all around when its at the coast and the garage at my house. Seems like the only thing that should affect it are temperature swings.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
104 Posts
In addition to the other previous advice, which is all spot-on, I would suggest you get yourself a shurhold 6 inch medium bristle brush and extendable Pole. The better the pole and brush the easier to use, the good products last longer and makes it less of a chore.

I use Dawn to wash the boat after every use. Rinse with clear water and about every second or third use I give the brush a couple of shots a Woody's surf wax and give the deck a good coat. The Woody's wax is expensive and it comes in a hand-held pump bottle. I give the brush probably a total of 10 squirts to do the whole boat.

I learned this from a wise gentleman years ago.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts