Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I bought a house with a giant 8000 lb boat lift. I've never had one and I've never used one. I'm on the Gulf coast of Florida and I want to get a very light, very narrow 16' by 5' ~400 lb skiff. Obviously the skids will need to be adjusted. If they are kept in the center of the lift the boat could be 10 feet away from the dock its next to. I'm having trouble with the logistics of getting on and off the boat. Any help or ideas would be appreciated, maybe some of you have already solved a problem like this. Thanks.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,609 Posts
Ok I bought a house with a giant 8000 lb boat lift. I've never had one and I've never used one. I'm on the Gulf coast of Florida and I want to get a very light, very narrow 16' by 5' ~400 lb skiff. Obviously the skids will need to be adjusted. If they are kept in the center of the lift the boat could be 10 feet away from the dock its next to. I'm having trouble with the logistics of getting on and off the boat. Any help or ideas would be appreciated, maybe some of you have already solved a problem like this. Thanks.
Drive the boat onto lowered lift, get out (install a ladder if you need to), then lift the boat out of the water

·
Registered
Just livin’ my life easy come easy go...
739 Posts
Pics would help

Reactions: yobata

·
Registered
80 Posts
I helped my old man with a similar situation for his 23' Sportsman CC. We installed a 24' Werner walkway parallel with the dock edge which was then u-bolted to the lift beams. Your bunks will need to be offset nearest to the dock edge, but with an 8K capacity, it should not be an issue so long as your cables and lift motors are maintained. Depending on the layout of the dock, you could use multiple lengths of Werner scaffolding laid parallel to the dock edge to achieve added distance. There is a distance of approximately 24" from the top of the scaffolding to the side of his boat, but that will be reduced if using a skiff.

https://www.grainger.com/product/WE...=AZIDPRR_9262-9435-2&req=Customer_Also_Viewed

This particular scaffolding we used is rated for 500 pound capacity, and is used for accessing the side of the vessel nearest the water whereas the other side is accessed by the dock, but given the narrow width of your boat, you could likely install it on either or both sides. It added less than 150 pounds to his lift (single length), and allows me to access the side of the boat for cleaning. There are no issues with it fouling entry to dock since it is set even with the rear pilings and is even with the bow when stowed.

It is a two man installation, but with some decent tools, installation is easy. When adjusting bunks, the lift is also stabilized due to the added rigidity. We drilled the scaffolding such that there are four points for securing it to the beams using u-bolts. A picture would help me explain it better, but this is option.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pics would help
View attachment 67090
My Dock and lift with previous owners boat
I helped my old man with a similar situation for his 23' Sportsman CC. We installed a 24' Werner walkway parallel with the dock edge which was then u-bolted to the lift beams. Your bunks will need to be offset nearest to the dock edge, but with an 8K capacity, it should not be an issue so long as your cables and lift motors are maintained. Depending on the layout of the dock, you could use multiple lengths of Werner scaffolding laid parallel to the dock edge to achieve added distance. There is a distance of approximately 24" from the top of the scaffolding to the side of his boat, but that will be reduced if using a skiff.

https://www.grainger.com/product/WE...=AZIDPRR_9262-9435-2&req=Customer_Also_Viewed

This particular scaffolding we used is rated for 500 pound capacity, and is used for accessing the side of the vessel nearest the water whereas the other side is accessed by the dock, but given the narrow width of your boat, you could likely install it on either or both sides. It added less than 150 pounds to his lift (single length), and allows me to access the side of the boat for cleaning. There are no issues with it fouling entry to dock since it is set even with the rear pilings and is even with the bow when stowed.

It is a two man installation, but with some decent tools, installation is easy. When adjusting bunks, the lift is also stabilized due to the added rigidity. We drilled the scaffolding such that there are four points for securing it to the beams using u-bolts. A picture would help me explain it better, but this is option.
This seems more like what I'm looking for. I'm thinking I can just secure it on top of the ibeams. A couple of them or maybe one cut in half set next to each other ought to get me close enough to get in the boat before lowering and out of the boat after raising, and get in the boat on the lift for cleaning and flushing the lower unit etc. Sound like a plan, or should I not be riding the lift when lowering or raising?

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Several guys up my way have built a cantilevered platforms on dock , some flush ,others step down.
Built out toward boat as needed ,narrow enough to fit between cross beam if so oriented. After new boat is set. I ride mine up and down ,readying boat,all the time .good luck

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Several guys up my way have built a cantilevered platforms on dock , some flush ,others step down.
Built out toward boat as needed ,narrow enough to fit between cross beam if so oriented. After new boat is set. I ride mine up and down ,readying boat,all the time .good luck
Thanks for the input Rob, how are things in Oriental. I spent a few years in Morehead City and used to go out that way on occasion. pretty little town.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Folks are still repairing from Florence. Amazed at blue tarps on roofs 6 months later. Work force ain’t what it used to be. Take care

·
Soy un Perdedor
2,563 Posts
Don't over think it. You have a pretty heavy duty lift and very light boat. Grab a couple wrenches and a mallet, hop in the water, loosen the bolts and slide your bunks to the dockside edge of the lift.

EZPZ your done. You can now step easily from the boat onto your dock. My lift is rated for 6,000lb. and my skiff is off-centered towards the dock.

IMG_1055.JPG

1 - 11 of 11 Posts