Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve been lurking for a while but have a boat related question now that I’ve been doing more saltwater fishing. I have been fly fishing for trout and pike for about 5 years and am looking to get more serious about saltwater. I’d like a boat to fish the flats in the bay as well as the coastal salt ponds. I’d probably take some trips up to cape cod as well. I’d like a skiff in the 14 to 16 foot range but I’m not really sure what type of boat people use in this area. Any suggestions for a first time boat owner would be greatly appreciated.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,658 Posts
I fished on one of those basspro Mako boats w/o the v-hull. Wasn't bad. Nice big deck for fly line.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply I’ll check it out. I guess my question is how would a boat like the sm 1444 fair in the New England area?

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you are fishing in the North East you are going to want a DV, the higher the dead rise the better. Check out sea ox's and sea crafts. they are heavy boats and will keep you safe when it gets nasty. The bass pro makos are what hurt the reputation of mako, I would stay away from those.

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,375 Posts
ActionCrafts, Maritime Skiffs, Jones Brothers and Boston Whalers are popular craft for New England inshore waters. Need a hull that will handle open water, yet float shallow enough to access the flats on the extreme tides. Good luck with your hunt.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,658 Posts
Thanks for the reply I’ll check it out. I guess my question is how would a boat like the sm 1444 fair in the New England area?
I don't think it would work in New England at all. And that Bass Pro Mako worked just fine. I use it every time I go fishing up there for flyfishing in Black point area. It handles the rollers you have have way better than my skiffs here would. For a cheap boat, I was amazed how well it worked. A little whaler would work well too. Only my opinion obv. But I've actually done it not "heard".

·
Registered
448 Posts
It really depends on what you want to do. Only fish New England and at this point I only sight fish. I’m either with a guide, wading, or on a L4Expedition. Guides from you the Islands to Maine are using a lappy bonefisher 16, HPX-V, Action Craft 2020, Carolina Skiff, Hog Island 16, Hewes something or other, and HPX-V.

I would say the best guides I know are running the Action Craft 2020 and three HPX-Vs.

Also, there is now a kid running a Chittum 12 degree on the Cape.

I would go out on a bunch of trips in other boats and figure it out that way. If you really only want to pole the flats and sight fish then I’d go with something that you can pole and has a bit of deadrise.

I’ve thought about a Tavernier 17 or Mitzi 17 or used Super Skiff or Biscayne in my current budget. Chittum 12 degree, HPX-V, or Dolphin 17 in a few years. I’ve decided for me an Action Craft opens a lot of water that I’m not interested in fishing.

Lastly, there is a guy selling a 2014 Ankona Cayenne in NH if you are interested.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction. I will definitley need to do some research now. My main interest is sight fishing in flats but want something that would be able to safely handle the conditions we have here in the bay since I’ll be bringing my children out with me. I would like to try a couple boats out before making a decision but I don’t know anyone with a boat as hard as that is to believe for someone who grew up in Rhode Island. I’m from the western part of the state where people mostly freshwater fish.

Also since it’s my first boat I’d like to keep the price down so I can learn the ropes.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction. I will definitley need to do some research now. My main interest is sight fishing in flats but want something that would be able to safely handle the conditions we have here in the bay since I’ll be bringing my children out with me. I would like to try a couple boats out before making a decision but I don’t know anyone with a boat as hard as that is to believe for someone who grew up in Rhode Island. I’m from the western part of the state where people mostly freshwater fish.

Also since it’s my first boat I’d like to keep the price down so I can learn the ropes.
You might be living in a two boat situation.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I’m running a East cape evox in RI. It’s nice to get into places where other boats can’t get in, but it would be nice to have a boat with a little more v for snotty days crossing more open water.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts