Boat fly box

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by obrientimm, Apr 13, 2018.

1. obrientimm

obrientimm Well-Known Member

Guys I live 250 miles from the nearest fly shop so your input would be much appreciated. Im looking for a boat box to store all my flies. I have a few Umpqua flats boxes with Zerust which I love but they are not good for holding big flies. So I see there is an Umpqua boat box, MFC, Cliff, etc etc. Let me know you thoughts. The MFC seems over kill with all of the latches.

2. crboggs

crboggs I Love microskiff.com!

I picked up a Cliff's Crab Shack and haven't needed another fly box since. It goes with me in the wading pack, the canoe, and on the skiff.

They didn't have the Justin Case when I got my box though...so that is intriguing.

3. lsunoe

lsunoe Well-Known Member

I use MFC boat box

flysalt060 likes this.
  4. texasag07

texasag07 I Love microskiff.com!

MFC boat box all the way. I have two one with all my tarpon flies and another with the additional leaf for my bluewater, redfish, everything else flies. All of the latches keep it completely water tight. The 4 latches aren't really that big of a pain. You can always just latch one or two if you are in and out of it a lot. Only negative is is they are pretty large, but a lot of guide buddies I know like them cause of the amount of flies they can put in them at one time and have flies for multiple fish species all in one big case.

Aren't most of the cliffs boxes not actually waterproof?

One tip if buying the additional leaf, get the Small fly version. In this version there is a part of the leaf that doesn't have foam which makes it nice for weedless flies that the hook can be slid into the foam but the weedguard won't get trashed since there isn't foam the whole length of the box.

lsunoe, backbone and flysalt060 like this.
  5. el9surf

el9surf Well-Known Member

On the boat I either use a Plano clear compartment box or 1 qt Ziploc sandwich bags with the flies in the individual little mini plastic bags. You can find the little bags on amazon. It's more compact than a fly box and my weed guards don't get bent up. I toss them in a water bottle when I'm done with them and then bag them back up once they are dry.

I'm sure the big boat boxes work great but they always seem a bit cumbersome.

backbone, crboggs and Fishshoot like this.
  6. ifsteve

ifsteve Well-Known Member

I have my flies in clear plano type boxes (4 of them) and then they are all in my Abel Gear Bag. Stay nice and dry and can carry enough flies for a freaking fly shop....lol.

JoJoBee, el9surf and mosquitolaGOON like this.
  7. crboggs

True. But that's never been a problem for me.

Their new case appears to be.

8. LowHydrogen

LowHydrogen Fly-By-Night

The MFC box has a picture of a fish, so I bought that.

flysalt060, yobata and crboggs like this.
  9. crboggs

upload_2018-4-13_15-7-35.png

10. permitchaser

permitchaser I Love Skinny Water

I bought some boxes at Wal-Mart large enough for Tarpon flies and four latches

11. obrientimm

the new cliff justin case has fewer latches and a pressure valve.

12. eightwt

eightwt Well-Known Member

Made my own from a single pistol case and 5mm foam from Hobby Lobby.

13. Steve_Mevers

Steve_Mevers I Love microskiff.com!

I do the same, I don't like sticking my flies in foam

14. 5mark_n

5mark_n I Love microskiff.com!

thanks, got one, too good of a deal to pass

the color.....I'll learn to like it I guess :cool:

15. Backwater

Backwater Fly Fishing Shaman

If you do a search on this forum, you'll see many threads on the subject, tho it's always good to flush out new ideas and recommendations, Like backbone's link for his MFC box, which is probably the best one of those I've seen yet.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  16. Ken T

Ken T Well-Known Member

I keep a large amount of flies and what works best for me is the Plano boxes that have tons of holes drilled in them. I keep them in a waterproof bag or in a hatch in the skiff. I settled on these after trying about everything. Cliff fill with water even in light rain. Many of the waterproof models create extreme condensation as temperatures change.

The MFC is a nice box. I would also look at Adams Built which is fairly new. They have several different large models similar to MFC and Cliff. I had a rep come in this week with their line of equipment. The large fly boxes seem to be very well built, waterproof and with clear sides. Tight latches and an overall sturdy design. Although I have not used them I did mess around with them as did all of our guide staff. Just about everyone in the room asked me to order one for them after working them over.

Ken

flysalt060 likes this.
  17. obrientimm

Thanks Ken. I check those out.