Boat dropped (Hull Chipped)

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by Mike_E_P, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Mike_E_P

Mike_E_P Well-Known Member

Just got a 15' 4" yesterday and was taking it off the truck when my dad and I lost control, tipped it and it fell on the concreete. :-/ The back bottom of the hull chipped to the fiber glass, about a 3" x 3" chip. How would I fix this? What should I use?

Never done this kinda thing before so the more depth an explination the better!

Also got a few scratches that didnt go deep, should I worry about these?

Thanks, I'm going crazy wanting to get out on the water :'(

2. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

If you can show a pic of the said area, it will help with some of the comments and which way to steer you to fix it.

3. Mike_E_P

thanks for the quick reply, ill try to get pics tonight

4. The_Skiff_Shop

The_Skiff_Shop Well-Known Member

If you have no experience with this why not just take it to Pugar? By the time you buy all the materials to do it correctly, I'm willing to bet CG could have it done and faster. If you were further away my answer might be different. ;)

just my .0000000000002 sense but that's what I would do.

5. Mike_E_P

How much do you think it would cost me?

Btw asked a friend and he said it just chipped through the gel coat and not to bad.... Any links on how to gel coat something?

6. Flyline

Flyline Won "Do More With Less" Award!

it's not a big deal.............I have alot more like this on my old 15.4 NMZ and still floats.  I'm not worry about a thing unless fiberglass cracks open.

here's what u need and it's so simple to repair.  also it's add the color u want.  Dont worry about it....it's not a big deal.

It's evercoat marine Gelcoat Repair kit cost around $40 bucks.  U can find it at west marine, boater's world or Bass pro shops.

Permanently repairs nicks, gouges, and scratches in fiberglass hulls and decks. Cures glass-hard in one hour! No sanding needed. Kit includes colors, polyester gel paste, hardener, release paper, mixing sticks, blending chart, and instructions.

[​IMG]

7. The_Skiff_Shop

The_Skiff_Shop Well-Known Member

I agree w/Snooky. Looks like a "flesh wound". Unless you have exposed glass I would just get over it and enjoy her. At least you got the first banging up out of the way. ;)

again, just my .0000000000000002 sense

8. Un-shore

Un-shore Well-Known Member

In other words; The first chip is the deepest.