Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
0 Posts
Sally says:

"Thanks, Backcountry16! You got any cheese?"

Sally loves cheese.

I train "Spot" to be a specific place, not a mat.

Sally knows her Spot in various places. House, pickup cab, boat. I also train to lie down in said spot, rather than stand.

I'm pretty lenient, though. Unless I say "Stay", she can sit up then after a minute or so.

To each his own. I just train my dogs to suit me, and we don't compete.

I heartily endorse the idea of getting that pup on a boat ASAP. Dogs will happily learn to love damn near anything if they trust you, and want to please you,and you introduce them to it before they're set in their ways.

I've had a couple of dogs who just had no desire to please me. Totally self-centered. You can't fix that. Get rid of that dog.

I messed up with Sally on swimming. Got her started early, but then neglected it. She'll swim if I tell her to, but she hates it.

Otherwise, she's perfect. Most biddable dog I've ever had.

If she's not doing what I want her to do, it's because I haven't made it clear what I want her to do, and that's on me.

About the only time I ever have to tell her "NO!" anymore is when she decides to snack on an elk turd. She likes elk turds.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
544 Posts
I have lived aboard sailboats and sailed with various dogs for the past 43 years. The best way is to get them in the water and onboard ASAP and get them familiar with the lifestyle. Our last pot cake from the island of Bequia was aboard from 6 weeks old to just before she passed away at 14 years. She logged thousands of offshore sea miles with us . Her only trait we had to deal with was she could swim like a seal and if she liked an island she saw as we sailed by she would jump overboard and would swim the few miles to check it out. Needless to say we ended up anchoring in places we had not planned to get her after she was finished exploring her latest interest. No one ever came aboard our boat uninvited in all the places we sailed with dogs.
We miss them all. One of our dogs Named Otis a black Schipperke lived out his life onboard and passed away while starting up Hells Bay Boatworks. He is buried under a tree in Flips front yard. They were all great.

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
We picked up our poochthree weeks ago. She's been on the boat a few times.
This was her first trip.
The second pic is after two hours and her peanut butter sandwich.
She's really chill for a 15 week old pup.
20180603_093531.jpg
20180603_110025.jpg

·
0 Posts
I have no idea what a poochthree is, but the look on her face says "that's a good dog" to me.

Dang...now I want a peanut butter sandwich...

·
0 Posts
Ah, I get it now.

Not poochthree, but pooch three.

Good thing I'm not a gun dog--I'd be put down early to thin the litter so the smart pups got plenty.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Ah, I get it now.

Not poochthree, but pooch three.

Good thing I'm not a gun dog--I'd be put down early to thin the litter so the smart pups got plenty.
I noticed it after I posted but I was just getting ready to eat. Forgot to go back and fix it.
Of course if I fixed it now, your posts wouldn't make any sense.
;^)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Okay, I looked up the GWP and it fits her personality, looks, build, coat and almost all of her behavior.
I guess that means we can't call her a BorderSchnauzaDor any more.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts