Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice about getting a new puppy acclimated to a boat and properly training her. I just put a deposit down on a yellow lab that should be born around July 10...just starting to think through some of what's ahead.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,783 Posts
Put it on the boat while it sits at your house. See if it likes it walks around, smells. Also get in with it. Then if it's happy there try the water. If it's a Lab it should not be a problem

·
Mostly Harmless
2,184 Posts
Get your basic obedience rock solid at home, then transition it to the boat.

Be warned; a boat gets small with a young retriever. I have tried to fish with 4 pups thus far and every pup reminds me that I need a pontoon boat and really stupid fish if I want it to work. They have too much energy for such a small space. All mine get/got really excited when I catch/caught a fish and most will try to jump in the water after fish you throw back. They want to be everywhere you are, which gets exciting in tippy skiff where sudden movements will dip a rail. This also puts them right under your feet when you are trying to unsnag a hook or set the anchor, etc. They tangle themselves in anchor lines, snag themselves on hooks and stomp on rods in the process. Taking that out of a pup is tough unless you spend more time dog training than fishing or you get some no-drive fat-ador. Also, they get very hot in a boat, so you need to find a way to provide shade for them. The moral of the story is be prepared to give up on the dream until they are 6-8 years old and it is cool out.

Hunting isn't a problem even for pups because they are usually cold and tired. They just pull hood ornament duty.

Nate

·
I Love microskiff.com!
409 Posts
Had our Lab on the boat from the day we got her. Wasn’t much bigger than a football. Just a pup. In my humble opinion if that’s all they've known - being on the boat, it becomes no big deal. They figure out the drill very quickly. Yes, she would get way excited when she would hear me hooking up the trailer, but once on the boat...chill city. Damn...I miss her. 13 year fishing buddie. Had to lick EVERY fish and she knew the sound of the drag. ...sigh

·
Mostly Harmless
2,184 Posts
I would imagine whitedogs experiences were/are similar to this..

The guy has mentioned in later videos that he has gotten calmer as he starts to get out of the puppy stage. Pretty funny seeing a dog chase down a hooked fish though!
Exactly.

Additionally, they fall out of the boat by accident once while they are excited and then “fall” further and further from the boat every time you aren’t looking thereafter. Horse flies will make them unapologetically jump out of the boat even when you are looking.

Nate

·
Registered
231 Posts
My recommendation to start Would be teach them how to “place” on a mat. Then put a piece of seadek in the boat and you can have them place on that when needed. They will like to ride there as well since they will have more traction as long as it is up front. All dogs like to move around a boat and labs are big dogs. Also, they can destroy awlgrip so another plus for seadek

·
Registered
473 Posts
18C861B6-AEC7-4485-838F-E4679E408728.jpeg
Try to bring it as often as you can from as young as you can. Even if they’re unsure at first, they’ll get used to it. My dog is first mate every time (see avatar) in the skiff on the flats, the inlets and on the Jonboat. Remember its you're job to teach the dog what is acceptable behavior, just be consistent, and enjoy!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I’m a sucker for sad dog eyes. Can’t leave the most loyal companion I’ll ever have behind when he is standing politely by the truck door when I’m hooking the skiff up. I know he probably enjoys going more than I do. After inviting enough friends that find excuses not to go it’s kind of refreshing to see some enthusiasm.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I've thought about a mini bimini that goes from the poling platform to the grab bar to shade the pooch.
The big umbrella just seems the way to go though

·
0 Posts
What Gervais said, although I use "Spot" rather than "Place".

My Sally-girl (GSP), would much rather be hunting than fishing, but she'd rather be fishing than left behind.

IMG_0756.JPG

·
Registered
144 Posts
I train labs for retriever competitions. It is common to teach dogs the command "Place." This command tells them to go stand on a rug or mat. You can do this in the house and then transfer the rug or mat to your boat. You say "Place" and the dog goes to the mat. To train the dog, just say "Place" and bring the dog to the mat using a leash. Then get the dog to do this in your yard or house without the leash. Next, bring the dog and mat into the boat and say "Place."

1 - 20 of 31 Posts