Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I have a big question for the Microskiff community. I was in a pretty bad boating accident a couple months ago. A wake boarding boat T-boned the bow of my Ranger Banshee. Is fixing the boat a good or bad idea. If you have any questions I will try to answer. I’m still a boating novice. Thank you! (I will try to post photos below)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found a repair shop who said they can repair this damage. They told me it will be as good as it was before the accident. Other people have told me this boat will never drive the same again. Any opinions on if I should have this boat repaired?

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey material things aside hope you and anyone else involved is alright. I don't know much about repairing skiffs, if its anything like a car I would think it'd be hard to fix, and not ride the same, but don't let my lack of experience discourage you. Interested to see what the other members say aswell. Best of luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey material things aside hope you and anyone else involved is alright. I don't know much about repairing skiffs, if its anything like a car I would think it'd be hard to fix, and not ride the same, but don't let my lack of experience discourage you. Interested to see what the other members say aswell. Best of luck
Thank you. 5 broken ribs and punctured lung and some other stuff. Almost fully recovered now. The boat is built with composite.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anything can be fixed...

How much do you like this boat? What is the comparison between what insurance gave you and the estimated repair bill?
I like the boat pretty good. I didn’t own it very long before the accident. The cost to repair is nearly equal to the cost that insurance has agreed to pay me.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Glad to hear you are recovering well, sounds like a pretty bad accident.

The repair estimate will likely go up once they actually get into it. If the boat has sentimental value or I could do the majority of the work myself I would consider a rebuild but without those conditions I would likely find a new hull.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Glad to hear you are recovering well, sounds like a pretty bad accident.

The repair estimate will likely go up once they actually get into it. If the boat has sentimental value or I could do the majority of the work myself I would consider a rebuild but without those conditions I would likely find a new hull.
I would have to have an agreement with the repair shop that they will not increase cost. But that’s a very good point.

·
Registered
748 Posts
If they paid you out on the value of the hull doesn’t the Ins company now own the hull? Or did they deduct salvage value from the payout?

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,105 Posts
I want to hear about the collision. Who's fault and did anyone go to jail
oh you can fix that

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I want to hear about the collision. Who's fault and did anyone go to jail
oh you can fix that
I say the other boater is at fault. He had empty beer cans on board, he advised me not to call 911, and when i did call 911 he fled the scene, cleared his boat of beer cans and returned to the scene when the game warden threatened to issue a warrant for his arrest. The boater was not tested for intoxication, much to my dismay.

G

·
Are there any questions I should ask of the repair shop to see if they are doing a good repair?
Ask questions about the materials used such as resin type. Is the structural repair going to be from the inside and outside? Are the stringers busted and how do they plan on repairing them if so?
If the shop is reputable there should be a “happy customer trail” same for a shady shop “pissed off customer trail”

1 - 20 of 70 Posts