Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Blue Rock Extreme trailer that my Beavertail Osprey sits on. The trailer needs some work. The axle is super rusted, the plastic fenders are shot and the bunks need some love. I also need a new crank and tongue wheel jack on the front.
Any recommendations on where to get the parts from? Anyone replaced the torsion axle on their Blue Rock trailer? Any general skiff trailer maintenance tips?

·
Brandon, FL
9,933 Posts
If you say where you live you might get some helpful answers.

For the bunks i would suggest a local lumberyard.

Shipping axles will be cost prohibitive.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Find your local Dexter distributor. They can order you a custom torsion axle. I think the program is called "pro spec" if I remember correctly. It might take some time to arrive, but they make good gear and it's not too expensive.

Like @DuckNut said, any lumberyard or big box will have lumber you can use for bunks. Pressure treated is a good idea. Use stainless steel or Monel staples, if you choose to staple your carpet onto the bunks. There are other ways, but this method has worked well for me on a few trailers.

Check amazon or ebay for the winch. Fulton makes a relatively inexpensive winch that should work for your BT. Sometimes amazon has an open box or amazon warehouse deal that's a steal.

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
replaced torsion axle on float on , had them shipped to local business. Installed myself. $ for shipping wasnt too bad , less than if shipped to my residence

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
If anyone has the parts you need these guys would be the first place I'd check into...
https://www.easternmarine.com/

Soup to nuts - in the trailer world these guys have it all - and they ship right to your door... I've had one axle shipped to me - just two or three years ago now -and the cost was not prohibitive... Of course mine was only shipped from Port St. Lucie, the EZ Loader distributor, down to south Florida...

That said, if you've got a galvanized trailer with lots of stuff needing to be replaced... there's something I'd want to do first before repairing it... and that is to make sure it's worth the effort... Get to a boat ramp and launch your skiff so that you can access your trailer - and bring a hammer... Tap along the frame on your trailer and listen to the sound it makes at each spot.. If the steel rings when you tap it with the hammer it's good... if it sounds dead then the inside of the channel is badly rusted and will fail on you sooner rather than later... Lots of bad spots in the frame of your trailer is my time to consider a new trailer, period...

Hope this helps - aren't boats fun?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Shipping an axle isn’t bad from
Ameratrail, if you get it drop shipped when their driver is passing thru.
Took 2 weeks to get here in SC, but saved me $300 compared to getting it shipped direct.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts