Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And just like that, I've got another reason to use my new cheap little rod. Any recommendations fishing wise, or just cool stuff to do there?
I will be going in the middle of February. Thanks.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,138 Posts
PM me, and pack a 6wt...

Edit to add:
Ride the train up to Copperhill, hike out to Amicalola Falls, or any of the other falls, go get a fried pie or 6 from Merciers Orchard (and wine if you're into it), Drive down to Ellijay and Canoe the river depending on temp (Ellijay River Outfitters), Brasstown Bald is cool and a decent little hike or you can ride the bus if it's not icy (we hiked up there once in a snowstorm, no fun). Check out Bill Oyster's fly rod shop buy a rod if your pockets are too heavy (I bought a hat) and there's also BR Fly Shop next door. Eat at Toccoa Riverside Restaurant haven't had a bad meal there yet. If you're up for a drive hit Dahlonega gold mine kinda cool for kids if you will have any with you. If you're in a cabin, sit in a hot tub or by a fire drink a beer and relax.

I really love that area.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Mid February can be a real crap shoot when it comes to weather up there.
The delayed harvest section of the Toccoa is a spot I’ve always had good luck with and there are some nice trout there. I’m partial to it though because it’s just a few miles from our cabin. Noontootla is a smaller stream but the public sections are artificial only, size limited, and offer a better chance at larger trout than the “bait” streams. I haven’t fished the Toccoa tailwaters just below McCayesville since they went to the year-round season. I’m no trout expert but I’ve heard you can fish the shallower spots up there and below the dam, and need to find the deeper holes on the Toccoa above the lake and in the Noontootla during the Winter.
Great hiking around the county if you enjoy that and if you do you way want to take a run over and visit Tallulah Gorge.
Good luck to you and I hope the weather cooperates.

·
Registered
6,261 Posts
Use to live there, LH hit it on the head.....locals use canned corn kernels to catch the trout .

Blue Jeans pizza for pizza/beer/big screen TV affordable.
High end Italian... la rustica or la pizzeria next door.
Stay out of the Black Swan $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Hole in the wall good Bar b Que...... Col. Pooles in ellijay...headstones on the mnt. side

·
Registered
546 Posts
I grew up just south of there, but frequently went up on the weekends. I second/third everything LowHydrogen said. When I go back to visit family, I DON'T leave without a pie from Merciers. I moved away before drinking age so I can't help with that. The hiking and sights are pretty spectacular, especially once you get used to the lowcountry and not having any mountains around. Fishing might be tough, and oddly enough, like topnative2 said, I've seen some old timers using corn before. I always pick the brains from the guys in the shop. They would give me a direction of where to go for the time of year, water level, etc. and it does help if you buy something from them

P.S. bring jackets

·
Registered
6,261 Posts
Gotta see Jacks river falls...end of hwy 2

make sure u check out fighting town creek where u can get access near the bridges for trout

·
I Love microskiff.com!
645 Posts
Blue ridge fly shop gone. Cohutta fly shop just opened a place there. Check out there website. The upper toccoa dh fishes good. If the rain ever stops might be wadeable. Just check with Cohutta , great folks.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
229 Posts
Heading there myself the third week in February. We rented a cabin in Cherry Log and I booked a guide for a couple of days, Andrew with Toccoa River Outfitters. I appreciate the info!

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Two great DIY spots that I have learned over the past year is Tammen Park (Toccoa River) and Curtis Switch Rd (Toccoa River). I've caught plenty of trout at both spots, but have never fished there in February.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Careful with non-artificial bait and lures in that area. There are several rivers that have very specific restrictions and unlike some areas game wardens pass through the areas there frequently. Rarely a year went by where I didn't get "carded" at least once.

Copperhill/McCaysville is pretty cool as you can stand in two states at once. Small quaint town.

You can hit some rapids on the Ocoee, hiking, horseback riding, some decent breweries in the area, interesting train ride and some great places to eat. If they are in season, Engels strawberry pie is a must.

We frequently stay at the Tocoaa House properties in the area. I even married there.

https://www.toccoahouse.com/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts