Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the time has come and the refurb project on the '95 mav mirage is complete, but for some minor details etc. I live in Broward County and have never fished the Bay as I grew up in Tampa Bay. I plan on getting a guide several times this spring and summer to aide in learning the waters, however I need to get this boat wet.......I have an itch that must be scratched. I have a buddy coming in town this weekend and we plan to fish. I am not looking for someone to give me coordinates to the holy grail, rather a helping hand on the basics of the bay. Topics like if the wind is coming from X in this knot range, I would stick to these areas, or rather, don't go! I don't have the FMT chip at this point, just a basic old garmin that came with it, although I plan to upgrade soon. Best place to launch and fish this time of year - north (crandon or matheson), central (blackpoint etc) or south (homestead blackpoint)........I have never launched or fished from any of them. For the flats, I imagine that they hold bones, permit, sharks, and cudas and I plan to fly and bring some spin gear as well (artificials). Tips and techniques for picking the best flat to fish? If the bones are not cooperating, any tips on mango snappers in the bay? I really appreciate it....PM if needed.

·
Registered
470 Posts
South end of bay has wind protection for more or less every wind direction,
Far as snapper try creek mouths and channels for example Caesar creek area.

http://www.floridasportsman.com/2012/10/29/fs-seminar-stealthy-tips-for-bonefish/

Heres some helpful old articles and video featuring my old man. I owe my knowledge to him.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/fl-xpm-2010-05-06-fl-outdoors-lead-0507-20100506-story.html

https://www.sportfishingmag.com/species/fish-species/9-offbeat-bonefish-tricks

·
I Love microskiff.com!
89 Posts
My grandad was a charter captain out of Miami in the 30s and 40s and grew up on Biscayne Bay. Whenever he took me fishing we headed for the Finger channels south of Key Biscayne down to Soldiers Key. Didn't take long to fill a box with muttons and mangroves and small grouper, plus Spanish Mackeral during the winter. I haven't fished there since the mid 50s but I bet the snapper still frequent those channels.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,104 Posts
1 - Avoid weekend if possible
2 - Google maps is great for learning how to run and also where to fish. Look for points and flats near deeper water
3 - Be careful out there. The weather can change quickly and make the really choppy

I think the most enjoyable part is exploring different areas and learning it on my own.

·
Registered
730 Posts
1 - Avoid weekend if possible
2 - Google maps is great for learning how to run and also where to fish. Look for points and flats near deeper water
3 - Be careful out there. The weather can change quickly and make the really choppy

I think the most enjoyable part is exploring different areas and learning it on my own.
This^ and goes for all places. Do a little reading, some research on what bonefish like and make them happy. Find those areas on a map and go there. I could drop you 20 waypoints but if you don't know why or when, you might as well stay home. +10 on the weather can change and get dangerous in a heartbeat. You can plan against it a little based on where you want to fish vs where you launch out there.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I launched out of Homestead bayfront park on saturday and fished, or more like explored all day until 430. I had never fished the area and was in a new to me skiff with the original, old 4 inch garmin with no adequate charts. I can tell you what, a quality gps with FMT is happening this week. Nevertheless I was like a blind squirrel the entire day looking for fish. The wind was blowing pretty good but I was able to get behind some islands and avoid it at times, but trying to locate the best area to fish was tough. I managed some mangos, but mostly small ones. The good news is the skiff ran amazing, was extremely dry and handled that bay chop with ease.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts