Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Was asking about batteries earlier and thought about the bilge pump being next to fuel tank ..safe or not? Trying not to build a bomb 馃槀

Registered
Can't tell enough about where it is at. If it is an open area, then no problem. In an enclosed area with no ventilation, then yes maybe a bomb.

Registered
Rule bilge pumps are ignition protected, as I expect all quality marine grade, UL listed pumps are.

Registered
Rule bilge pumps are ignition protected, as I expect all quality marine grade, UL listed pumps are.
That might be true, but the wiring job up to the pump isn't. You'll have splices right at the pump.

Reactions: JC Designs

Registered
Are you referring to the possibility of a short? Would a properly crimped and heat shrunk butt connector mitigate that (along with proper fusing)?

Registered
Are you referring to the possibility of a short? Would a properly crimped and heat shrunk butt connector mitigate that (along with proper fusing)?

Yes. Things shift around. Wires get stretched, crimped, crushed etc. I always go by what is the worst that could happen. ;)

Brandon, FL
Why is there a battery tray closer to the fuel tank than the bilge pump?

From the looks of it I would say your safe (if the tank is under am open bench seat as depicted). But that battery location is for someone with bowling balls.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I moved the battery to the front..so no batteries around the tank..the wiring is in the compartments ,,so shouldn't be a issue.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Also cut a hole above the tank for more ventilation..it's pretty open now..so hopefully it doesn't blow...lol I've seen the road runner cartoons..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts