Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone new to the fourm here. I’m about to buy a gheenoe 15’4 with no motor. My question is what’s the heaviest motor you would safely hang off the back of one of these. I have a 1978 Evinrude 15 horse that I think will be perfect but I have to get it running again first. I also have a 1999 mercury 9.9 4 stroke that I’d like to run on it until I get the Evinrude running again. The merc is a real heavy engine though coming in at about 112 pounds I believe. Just wondering what anyone who knows more about these boats than me thinks about hanging this much weight off the transom. Thank you

·
I Love microskiff.com!
685 Posts
Don't go much over 100LBs. Those old school 2 stroke 15 horse motors are the ticket for these hulls. They are SUPER weight sensitive. You'll get more ponies for less weight with a two stroke.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
685 Posts
Well I could tell you some that didn't involve motors being overpowered but I agree with that. Everyone I've ever known who had an old 25 horse Johnnyrude laying around that they decided to put on ended up flipping it.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
My buddy had a 15 high sider with an 8 hp tohatsu 2 stroke. That's about as fast as I would want to go in that boat.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I've got a 9.9 2 stroke, at 74 pounds, that I'm putting on my Highsider - and I understand it's pretty easy to turn it into a 15. I won't do that, but if someone did it I think all they'd have to do is not twist on the grip so much in squirrelly conditions and it wouldn't go so fast. But maybe there's some law against that.

·
Registered
'04 HB Devilray Merc 25 HP
1,030 Posts
I had a Tohatsu 9.9 4 Stroke on mine. I am also a small guy so the weight was manageable. Like previously stated very weight sensitive. Almost swamped the boat when trying get a monster red in the boat in flat water.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. It’s not so much horsepower I’m concerned with I think the 15 horse will be perfect for what I’m doing. just because you have all the power doesn’t mean you have to use it but it’s nice to have when you do need it for when you load the boat down or have to outrun a storm or make long runs etc. but it seems like my 9.9 might be too much weight for the boat. I just don’t want to stress out the transom or have it feel extra tippy with all the weight. No problem though I’ll probably end up just waiting till I get the 15 horse fixed and then get out on the water. Thank you

·
I Love microskiff.com!
31 Posts
I have a NMZ with a 9.9 on it and had a non-nmz before with a 6hp on it. Both motors were fine, but I'd like to have a 15hp on it. If you're making a long run and it's flat calm, the extra HPs would be nice to have.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I had a 2 stoke Yamaha 15 HP on my 15'4" and it ran fine. Top speed by GPS was 23 MPH with all fishing gear, trolling motor and me (225 lb). I also ran it with a 1974 9.9 HP Evinrude and got 17 MPH. Did not run it wide open that much with the 15 HP but at times it was nice to have for the reasons you mention. Like any small boat you need to consider sea conditions and how you load your boat to stay out of trouble. Because of the weight I would not put a 15 HP 4 stroke on the back. Good luck in bringing your boat back to life.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts