big gator

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TomFL, Sep 18, 2010.

1. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

http://www.thirdage.com/news/900-pound-gator-video-gator-caught-massachusetts-woman-south-carolina_9-17-2010

2. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

That is a huge one.

3. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Seems they underestimated the weight on the first link, see here:

http://www.thestate.com/2010/09/17/1470478/ma-woman-bags-1025-pound-alligator.html

4. Charlie

Charlie I Love microskiff.com!

That is one BIG gator. Although I don't mind hunting, I wonder what the life of a big 'ol gator like that was like and whether being shot by a hunter was a "worthy" enough death for it. I would picture a creature like that dying of old age or being ousted by a younger stronger male.  :-/

5. Swamp

Swamp I Love microskiff.com!

The question of the ages, do you want to go out in your prime and on top of your game, or a washed up has been that can't defend yourself any more? Good thing gators don't think like that. :)

6. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Definately the most humane way. He'd more than likely not die of old age, but be killed by a rival, younger/stronger/bigger gator at some point.

There really isn't a better way to do it than get a line in 'em and one shot to the back of the head. They sink like a rock if you don't have anything attached to them, so the food/trophy would go to waste if not for the line.

-T

7. swampfox

swampfox 01 Hells Bay Guide.07 ECC LOSTMEN-sold

I live about 30 min from where she got him. I thought I had seen some dinasours on Merritt Island preserve when I lived in T-ville. This thing was huge. Only 40lbs of meat was able to be harvested from this monster. I also started gator hunting when I moved to SC. This was the 3rd year of a season. We have had several attacks recently(no fatalities-just limbs) and the population is out of hand. My first thought was how many animals and fish have went down his throught in his life time. :eek: