Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Goes to show... just how far westward they've spread. Put simply - as they wipe out the food resources where they are - they'll move to where there is good hunting.... Very bad news for Big Cypress.

Over my way (Flamingo) the road from the front gate all the way to the boat ramps (38 miles worth...) is clean as a whistle. The only roadkill I've seen for some years now it just reptile or birds... no warm blooded critters at all... The damned snakes have gotten them all...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,244 Posts
I need a bigger snake bag.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Everything being done - is too little too late I'm afraid...

There is one strategy that would work but it would require a heavy commitment -over years.... They did an experiment a few years back where they released a dozen or so live swamp rabbits in the area of Taylor Slough that were collared with small radio trackers (that's an area that used to have a very healthy swamp rabbit population - all long gone now...). A week or two later, when all the trackers quit moving... they tracked each one down and found it inside a python which they promptly killed to retrieve the beacon...

Imagine that proposition on a much larger scale and you have your soloution to snakes in places that you'd have to really work -just to get where they are... Rabbits aren't hard to raise - but it would be really hard on the bunnies... What I'm talking about would take years to accomplish - one small area at a time - and tons of money - but you could potentially clear an area of pythons with it....

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm sure they're edible. I wonder if we could start a gourmet python meat industry, similar to what's being done with lionfish.
We could export it - if the palate in the US isn't up for it, maybe another part of the world would be?

·
Brandon, FL
10,940 Posts
Everything being done - is too little too late I'm afraid...

There is one strategy that would work but it would require a heavy commitment -over years.... They did an experiment a few years back where they released a dozen or so live swamp rabbits in the area of Taylor Slough that were collared with small radio trackers (that's an area that used to have a very healthy swamp rabbit population - all long gone now...). A week or two later, when all the trackers quit moving... they tracked each one down and found it inside a python which they promptly killed to retrieve the beacon...

Imagine that proposition on a much larger scale and you have your soloution to snakes in places that you'd have to really work -just to get where they are... Rabbits aren't hard to raise - but it would be really hard on the bunnies... What I'm talking about would take years to accomplish - one small area at a time - and tons of money - but you could potentially clear an area of pythons with it....
Release hundreds with collars that explode if they are in the dark for 48 hours.

Inspector Gadget style

·
I Love microskiff.com!
264 Posts
Fucking exotic pet people. We need to ban all non native species from coming into this country. No one needs a python, or a tiger, etc. I know this would piss off the aquarium aficionados but screw em, get a non destructive hobby and move out of your parents basement. The same thing is happening with plants. .....oh and “The Sexton” is really good Irish Whiskey and it’s a single malt...I’ve solved many of the worlds problems this evening.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
Fucking exotic pet people. We need to ban all non native species from coming into this country. No one needs a python, or a tiger, etc. I know this would piss off the aquarium aficionados but screw em, get a non destructive hobby and move out of your parents basement. The same thing is happening with plants. .....oh and “The Sexton” is really good Irish Whiskey and it’s a single malt...I’ve solved many of the worlds problems this evening.
All non native species including people...

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
So according to you, I just have to tell my kids "sorry but Mr. Nibbles has to go"??

·
Brandon, FL
10,940 Posts
In the town I grew up in there was a bt shiz crazy lady that owned a tiger. She had all the proper permits and took good care of this beautiful animal. Periodically you would see her out for a walk with it and other times it would jump the 10 foot fence and just be roaming the streets.

It never harmed anyone, never chased another animal, just a good pet to her. Then one day the tiger got out and they captured it and when returning the animal they found her eaten.

At least she did not breed it with feral cats and let them roam the neighborhood. lol

1 - 20 of 38 Posts