Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Best way to hire a "first mate"?

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  tarponio 
#1 ·
As I have gotten older and now with a few health issues slowing me down, I just don't have it in me to cast net, deal with the monsters after a good fight, do a light cleaning after the day is done, etc. I don't need a full on guide or a captain but would like someone along to help out.

What do you think is the best way to find a for-hire fishing buddy a couple times a month? I am a bit nervous hitting Craigslist for the obvious reasons. I was thinking something like $20-$25 an hour cash. Any of this sound reasonable or do you think it will be too much trouble?

#7 ·
Fishing buddies that want to meet you at the ramp are easy to find. Fishing buddies that meet you at the house on time, help you hook up the boat, break out the wallet at the pump and then stick around after to wash and put away the boat not so much. I think your on the right track just paying someone to help get the job done. Capt lemay is right on with eager youngsters at the local tackle shop.

#8 ·
I like the tackle shop idea and will give it a try. Cape Coral Florida is not a hot spot for young people. In this area, I am kind of a young person.

Other than helping out on the boat I would expect the other fellow to fish and such. Basically need someone with a good back, dependable, wants some extra cash and likes to fish. I often charter but that gets expensive fast. I could fish twice as much or more if I could just find a little help. Boat is just sitting on a lift ready to go and plenty of fishing gear.

#13 ·
Any high school fishing teams around? Most will be Bass fishermen, but they would be young and love fishing. That would be high on my list. You might only get the current participants in the summer, but the HS coach may know someone for your needs who graduated some time ago, or who might be a parent/relative of one of his kids.

#14 ·
As I have gotten older and now with a few health issues slowing me down, I just don't have it in me to cast net, deal with the monsters after a good fight, do a light cleaning after the day is done, etc. I don't need a full on guide or a captain but would like someone along to help out.

What do you think is the best way to find a for-hire fishing buddy a couple times a month? I am a bit nervous hitting Craigslist for the obvious reasons. I was thinking something like $20-$25 an hour cash. Any of this sound reasonable or do you think it will be too much trouble?
I worked the charter boats at 16-19yrs old along with several of my friends. Obviously you have to find the right young man but they are out there willing to bust their ass and learn. I was paid depending on Capt anywhere from $5hr/ half tips to $10hr and half tips and if I ran for my Grandfather I was lucky to get a French dip sammich from KP's deli and a reminder how I got my first poling skiff.

Good luck

#15 ·
Asking about a mate brought back some old memories - one of them in particular has stayed with me since I drew a life lesson from it... The guy was a regular customer at Reef Tackle where I was just starting out... He'd hustled and worked all his life in the garment trade to be able to retire in style, move to Florida, buy the boat he'd always wanted, etc. I was hired to handle lines and anchors (he fished mostly on the reef just off Miami Beach back when a chum bag or two meant hot action for hours from snapper, grouper, macks, kings - this was Miami Beach in the early seventies when it was still great fishing...), rig rods and just in general keep him fishing... One not so small thing.. every time he hooked a good fish - he'd have to pass me the rod since his heart was shot... He was a great guy but his health was gone - and that great retirement... maybe not so great...

That's what decided me years ago to take my fishing whenever I could since you never know how long you'll be able to fish....

#16 ·
If the B&T shack idea does not work out, similar to HS fishing clubs, try looking for and trying the Florida Gulf Coast college... when my son ws at UCF they had a fishing club and so did FGU.
My son who was an avid fisherman and well versed at all you have requested and would have jumped at an opportunity like this one, and likely would have done it for free.
FGU Eagles Fishing Club.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.