Best Way to Clean a Carb Without Pulling it Off?

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by rkmurphy, Apr 15, 2009.

1. rkmurphy

rkmurphy Well-Known Member

Just curious. Mine shouldn't be that hard but I have bad luck (read some of my threads!). I don't think it's to the point where it would need a carb job anyways. So...what's the best way/chemical/method to give it a good bath and get some of the gunk out of the jets and bowl without pulling it off?

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Thought you did this already with SeaFoam?

3. rkmurphy

I don't think I did it properly because it ended up 10x worse than it was...I need a step-by-step procedure that I can't mess up. I don't know why I keep screwing stuff up with this...I guess I'll get better with time and experience...

4. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

http://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1226933509/1#1

5. rkmurphy

Is this ok for gaskets and o-rings? It seems like a very high concentration...I kinda did this once with 1 gal of gas (with correct oil mix) and a can of SeaFoam. I just idled it for 15 min, though, with no high idle. I only used about 1/4 of the mix which was about 3 or 4 doses. My motor wouldn't idle right after that. Even with some fresh gas/oil it wouldn't idle right. Then I ran a 6 gallons of gas/oil with one bottle of Mercury Quickleen mix through it for 4 gallons. I just topped off the tank the other day. It runs fine now but I think it still needs a little bit of a "scrub". I just have a feeling...

6. B.Lee

B.Lee Well-Known Member

Seafoam spray, I think it's called deep creep (I didn't read the prior post again, it might be in there).

However, I would recommend pulling the carb off and cleaning it if that is your problem. A shortcut repair results in a shortcut back to the garage to repair again soon. Ask me how I know that one.

7. rkmurphy

How do you know that one? ;D

8. islander1225

islander1225 Well-Known Member

I have always used valvtect de-carb, i was amazed at the stuff it cleaned out, carbon all over the drive way.

Alex