Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for an umbrella when I take my wife and daughter out. Ideally I would like an umbrella that I could store in the under gunwale rod holder to keep out of the way. The more shade the better as I am really trying to avoid a Bimini Top on my skiff.... or even worse, a bay boat!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,084 Posts
Looking for an umbrella when I take my wife and daughter out. Ideally I would like an umbrella that I could store in the under gunwale rod holder to keep out of the way. The more shade the better as I am really trying to avoid a Bimini Top on my skiff.... or even worse, a bay boat!
Man
I personally like my bay boat in EVERY way, except for the 10 extra inches of water it floats in!
It’s cool being able to stand on the very front of the boat and cast and not almost fall if somebody in the back decides to move around

·
I Love microskiff.com!
838 Posts
Just get a bimini. Very easy to remove when you want, only two small bolts on mine plus clips.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like hunting fish in shallow water too much to go to a bay boat just yet. My Hpx 18 is the perfect combination of TPS/Big water capability/Family friendly in my own biased opinion. I’ve been working on making it more family friendly while keeping it simple. Recently purchased this chair below, that I keep in front of the console for the wife and daughter. Off topic but highly recommended it.
E343DC7D-4F8B-4DC2-BD1F-7DCA5ADE51D1.jpeg

My daughter loves using it in her play room as well.

I often fish off the back deck and like it to be clear if I’m not using shade. I removed my back rest for this reason.

I was thinking about something like this but not sure if it fits in the under gunwale rod holder.
https://hydrashade.com/8-square-boating-umbrella-kit-in-stock-now/

·
Registered
424 Posts
Agree with above on Bimini top being the easiest and most effective for shade. If you go the umbrella route make sure it is vented and bolts in rod holder somehow.
I haven’t put one on my skiff and I have had since both of my kids were born- now 4 and 2.
They make a folding chair that has a shade top which I use for my son when he goes fishing with me and when we do island trips w skiff I just bring a shade tent for island. Wouldn’t be opposed to a Bimini but haven’t found the true need just yet.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
685 Posts
no idea why people fight the idea of a Bimini - profoundly better than an umbrella - you can run with it up and still have shade. When mine was down it had zero effect on fishability as well. When you want to fish and be hard core - just leave it home.

·
will pole for food
963 Posts
my main beef with the bimini is the permanent mounting hardware that would jut out from the gunnels that I like to walk along from time to time

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I like hunting fish in shallow water too much to go to a bay boat just yet. My Hpx 18 is the perfect combination of TPS/Big water capability/Family friendly in my own biased opinion. I’ve been working on making it more family friendly while keeping it simple. Recently purchased this chair below, that I keep in front of the console for the wife and daughter. Off topic but highly recommended it.
View attachment 109928
My daughter loves using it in her play room as well.

I often fish off the back deck and like it to be clear if I’m not using shade. I removed my back rest for this reason.

I was thinking about something like this but not sure if it fits in the under gunwale rod holder.
https://hydrashade.com/8-square-boating-umbrella-kit-in-stock-now/
do u have a link or name for the chair?

thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts