Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, earlier this month I saw an ad for a sea craft 18 with no motor, I contacted him and sent all the best photos of my Hobie skiff…and he wanted to trade! Drove across the alley and picked up this clean 89 (I don’t care it’s not a potter hull) seacraft 18sf. I am beyond stoked and it needs very little work, just some gel coat finishing everything is solid. My dad had a n old mariner115wih low hours that’s been in the garage for better part of 30 years, should scoot for now. I know these hulls are finicky with motor weight of new 4 strokes. Looking forward to many more comfortable rides across biscayne bay, around the west side of flamingo, and maybe my first sailfish. Moral of the story…never hurts to ask! Don’t worry I still have a mod v jon so yall can’t kick me out 😁

Attachments

· Registered
183 Posts
I had a 20’ key largo that had the “potter hull” best damn 20’ boat I’ve ever owned. Used it offshore mostly and went to the Bahamas in it every year. Anyhow, your hull lines and the strakes at the bow are identical to mine. Might not be “potter built” but that running surface is amazing. Enjoy your sweet ride!

· I Love microskiff.com!
1,432 Posts
Off topic but i love pup's ,are those two yours ? One looks like a Black Bear the other a Blue Heeler 😁,love the Heelers really good pups 👍
I thought the same thing. Was thinking even the pet black bear likes it haha.

· Registered
“10K Islands adrift on a skiff,my worries escape me,with the flick of my wrist”
1,257 Posts
View attachment 218184
View attachment 218185
View attachment 218186
View attachment 218183 View attachment 218188
Here’s a few more pictures, mostly small stuff. Boat has been professionally wired, and has all new electronics.
The heeler is Toula 1.5, and the old bear is Delilah 11, a catahoula rottie mix. They are boat dogs, and since this is the bragging spot may as well show them off as well
I have a 3 year old heeler. And knowing the energy she has. I bet Toula drives that old girl Delilah crazy sometimes. 😂

· Registered
675 Posts
I may be wrong about this, but I believe seacraft was owned by the potter family and was sold to tracker or bass pro? I remember for a few years they built terrible Chinese seacrafts, which I’m guessing didn’t sell because they no longer make them.

Again I may be wrong, just what Ive heard

· Registered
1,472 Posts
I may be wrong about this, but I believe seacraft was owned by the potter family and was sold to tracker or bass pro? I remember for a few years they built terrible Chinese seacrafts, which I’m guessing didn’t sell because they no longer make them.

Again I may be wrong, just what Ive heard
It was mosely that started it way back with the race boats. Then potter built. Then tracker. Only negative comments I ever heard was on wiring and some minor warranty stuff. I'm pretty sure sailfish is still selling a variable degree deadrise hull similar to what seacraft did.

· Registered
5,903 Posts
Here's a few pics of my old SeaCraft SF 18- and yes I wish I'd never sold it - all those years ago (1987).

This was during the restoration (it was a $900 stolen recovery hull). The console shown hand 17 screw holes, three cracks and we completely re-did it. The instrument panel was blue plexi glass, the instrument panel sunshade smoke plexi, I had door and frame custom made (and will never fool with teak again...), the rodholders were five quarters mahogany with 7 or 8 coats of polyurethane, the console was sprayed out with Awlgrip after all the glass work... We moved the console about eight inches towards the stern for a better ride in bluewater before locking it down to the floor..

water sanded the entire exterior by hand to restore the gelcoat (after removing the cheap paint on the transom where the thieves had concealed that they'd removed the HIN ( hull number). This photo shows the new trailer, the under the gunnel rod holders (five quarters mahogany like the console rod holders -using the original teak holders as a pattern.... At this point we'd also removed all of the old wiring and had a new aluminum tank built and installed it under the deck...

At the ramp ready to go.. We converted the in the floor live well into a wet well for lines and nets, added custom made livewell boxes to the stern to be able to keep bait alive without any pumps at all (live well boxes properly fared in to exactly match the variable deadrise hull bottom, then screwed and 5200 caulked to the transom forever...

From the day we set her up she was meant to be a do everything club boat (I even had pushpole holders on her for Flamingo... I hook and line fished her part time whenever I had the time.... and that included quite a few days solo ranging as far offshore as about 30 miles when it was dolphin for the market...

Here's one last pic of the first time we water tested her ... this is a very big 18 footer (actually 18'10"), hull weight 1400lbs, Potter built in 1976.. Note how high the bow sits..

One other small detail... .no seating at the helm... I was a lot younger then...

· Registered
675 Posts
It was mosely that started it way back with the race boats. Then potter built. Then tracker. Only negative comments I ever heard was on wiring and some minor warranty stuff. I'm pretty sure sailfish is still selling a variable degree deadrise hull similar to what seacraft did.
For the tracker brand? I’ve heard a lot of negatives soft floors etc, but I don’t think they build them anymore

· Registered
5,903 Posts
Here's how it went all those years ago... Great brands (SeaCraft, Mako, and others...) came up for sale with few wanting to take on a business that involves lots of hard work with small profits... in a time that many businesses had "alternate sources" of income that weren't exactly on the books... Tracker ( Bass Pro for all intents and purposes) bought up these well known brands and others then proceeded to knock them out as cheaply as possible - with predictable results. Once you have a hull built, all of your money and time goes into properly rigging each boat before it goes to any dealer or customer (and, of course, that's what makes the boat business a tough deal to do properly...). In a very few short years these great brands were not exactly premium any more (with lots of owners not exactly happy....). And so it goes..

That's the main reason folks look for boats built by the original builder - no matter in what condition since at least they could be certain of a properly set up rig to begin with... It's a rare occurrence for a subsequent buyer of an outstanding brand to meet or actually exceed what the original builder was producing... The only one I can think of is Hells Bay - and the folks there have done a fine job of bringing back that brand and reputation...

· waterman 16
888 Posts
Here's a few pics of my old SeaCraft SF 18- and yes I wish I'd never sold it - all those years ago (1987).

This was during the restoration (it was a $900 stolen recovery hull). The console shown hand 17 screw holes, three cracks and we completely re-did it. The instrument panel was blue plexi glass, the instrument panel sunshade smoke plexi, I had door and frame custom made (and will never fool with teak again...), the rodholders were five quarters mahogany with 7 or 8 coats of polyurethane, the console was sprayed out with Awlgrip after all the glass work... We moved the console about eight inches towards the stern for a better ride in bluewater before locking it down to the floor..

water sanded the entire exterior by hand to restore the gelcoat (after removing the cheap paint on the transom where the thieves had concealed that they'd removed the HIN ( hull number). This photo shows the new trailer, the under the gunnel rod holders (five quarters mahogany like the console rod holders -using the original teak holders as a pattern.... At this point we'd also removed all of the old wiring and had a new aluminum tank built and installed it under the deck...

At the ramp ready to go.. We converted the in the floor live well into a wet well for lines and nets, added custom made livewell boxes to the stern to be able to keep bait alive without any pumps at all (live well boxes properly fared in to exactly match the variable deadrise hull bottom, then screwed and 5200 caulked to the transom forever...

From the day we set her up she was meant to be a do everything club boat (I even had pushpole holders on her for Flamingo... I hook and line fished her part time whenever I had the time.... and that included quite a few days solo ranging as far offshore as about 30 miles when it was dolphin for the market...

Here's one last pic of the first time we water tested her ... this is a very big 18 footer (actually 18'10"), hull weight 1400lbs, Potter built in 1976.. Note how high the bow sits..

One other small detail... .no seating at the helm... I was a lot younger then...
Sorry for the derail...but this boat is a perfect example of the small center consoles that I grew up around in Maimi. By today's standards there were small, under-powered, simple. We used them to fish for groupers, AJs, dolphin, snappers...live baiting and deep jigging. Dove for lobsters. We caught lots and lots of fish out of them! Good memories.

The OP will be very happy with his, I think.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts