Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this is a BIG question with lots of potential answers, so I am going to try and first set up the question with some additional information.....

1) We are looking for a skiff with a total weight of under 500lbs, including the motor.
2) We currently have a Maverick 17' HPX which weighs ~1200lbs with 70hp Yamaha.
3) The reason being, the davit system on our "mothership" boat has a max lift capacity of 550lbs and is not upgradeable.
4) We currently tow the Maverick to different locations, which works good, but sometimes it can get a little "sporty" in bad weather/waves.
5) We don't go out on the oceanside of the Keys often, but do sometimes, so big water capabilities would be nice but not extremely necessary.
6) With a lighter boat, having a big motor is not an enormous concern, but it would be nice to be able to do 25mph.
7) We have looked at stripped-down skiffs, like the HB Eldora at 400lbs, but are nervous about abilities in the VERY seldom 2' chop/swells we may end up in? (although this has been extremely rare....3x in 4 years)
8) Center counsel is not vital, but a grab bar would be nice for a tiller drive.
9) The boat would need to have the ability to add lifting hooks to the frame.
10) We fish SW Florida from Punta Gorda down to the Keys.

Any input, help, thoughts, would be awesome....THANKS!!!

· Registered
2007 Gordon Waterman , plus beat up J16 and unfinished Gheenoe project sitting in the "boneyard"
1,247 Posts
Sounds a lot like a unicorn, but good luck, I hope you find something and would love to hear what you settle on when you do.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your requirements sound a little contradictory. You want a smaller/lighter boat but yet you want it to be more capable in swells than a 17' hpx? Best of luck with the search.
Yes, we realize we will lose capability is bigger swells from the 17' HPX, but we are willing to sacrifice this in order to be able to get the boat up on the mothership. We just don't know what the capabilities are of some of these smaller micro skiffs. Thanks!

· I Love microskiff.com!
2,553 Posts
I bet you could get an HB Biscayne under 500 by rigging it differently. Certainly an older HB in the '02 range. I'm guessing Chittum could make theirs under too, by using a 60hp etc. instead of the giant motors everyone wants.

· Registered
3,045 Posts
The latest Tohatsu 30 can be had in a 128 lb configuration. (probably no power tilt and trim). Chittum Challenger comes to mind. I bet Harry Spear could get you there also if you don't want to break the bank.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bet you could get an HB Biscayne under 500 by rigging it differently. Certainly an older HB in the '02 range. I'm guessing Chittum could make theirs under too, by using a 60hp etc. instead of the giant motors everyone wants.
I will get a hold of Chittum as well, I didn't realize they have their stripped down version....the Mangrove.

· Registered
2020 BT Micro
1,539 Posts
I was very happy with my BT Micro in a chop...but 3 foot waves???? There is not a skiff under 18 feet and 500lbs that will "handle" 3 foot waves...
If you have a mothership you can afford a skiff that will meet a fraction of what your asking a skiff to do.
Call the big 5 manufacturers give em your specs then flip a coin...
Any of the big 5 manufacturers can hit 500lbs especially if they infuse with carbon

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was very happy with my BT Micro in a chop...but 3 foot waves???? There is not a skiff under 18 feet and 500lbs that will "handle" 3 foot waves...
If you have a mothership you can afford a skiff that will meet a fraction of what your asking a skiff to do.
Call the big 5 manufacturers give em your specs then flip a coin...
Any of the big 5 manufacturers can hit 500lbs especially if they infuse with carbon
THANKS! (and the mothership is nothing to get excited about, but we can definitely sleep on it :))

1 - 20 of 88 Posts