Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yall are throwing out great info, much appreciated. It really has me thinking. I know you are right about an alum boat but TBH I am just so over them right now and looking for something different. I am not as stable as I used to be, so I am concerned about poling a Highside especially with someone else hanging over the side plus I haven’t seen any used for sale within 600 miles.

What do yall think about a Kevlar Jon boat (sort of)? What about a SM 1656. It looks like it is fairly tough, wide enough to be stable, light enough to drag and pole, and inexpensive enough to not have hurt feelings. If I gouged up a Beavertail, East Cape, etc. I might would cry and I am not secure enough to be seen in public crying over skiff scratches.

Here is one that would take me a long day to retrieve. Thoughts? https://tallahassee.craigslist.org/boa/d/tallahassee-salt-marsh-skiff-kevlar/7055158978.html

·
I Love microskiff.com!
30 Posts
+1 for flat bottomed alum Jon boat as a first ride in the Lowcountry. Even if you end up buying a nice poling Skiff, you can keep the Jon boat because They are brutally tough.

'A Mitzi Skiff is not a bad option because it has a work boat type finish and costs much less than nicer fully finished skiffs. They seem to be able to take Some abuse.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you are not as stable as you used to be, the Mitzi is a good option. Big poling platform and huge bow. I can walk the perimeter of mine on the gunnels and it isn't as tippy as other skiffs I've been on. I have not fished out of something like a Salt Marsh, so I can't really give much input to that.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'd consider a Glasser Boatworks Wrightwater 12 if you've got a bit of coin. Either have them do a tiller with center grab bar so you can stand and cruise around or if it were me, I'd do a minimalist side console with something like a 25HP. I'd even consider a basic 12v trolling motor to throw on there even if it meant getting the shaft custom cut shorter.

Up side is that it drafts so little and is so small for 1-2 people if you ever get crazy serious about going super shallow after fish, you've got the vessel to do it.

Edit: build on here https://www.microskiff.com/threads/glasser-wrightwater-12.59500/

Pics are what I mean by minimalist side console. Looks like the did one in late December!

80476551_2573676179523144_3800004381361831936_o.jpg
81358605_2573676669523095_1827672574889295872_o.jpg
80662200_2573676786189750_176060609362657280_o.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Get you a Bote Rover. You can pull that thing out of any mess you get in. I was looking at adding one, as I have a 191 Bay Scout and wanted something to get real skinny in. Now I'm passing on the Rover, selling the Scout and starting a BT Mosquito build. Ha! Good Luck!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
25 Posts
Hello all. I have been lurking here ever since we purchased a house 6 months ago on St. Helena Island In Beaufort SC. Overlooking the marsh and a tidal creek really has me wanting to explore the creeks and high tide flats while fishing. I grew up on Lake Murray in the middle of SC so I have spent a lot of time freshwater fishing but none really inshore. The million dollar question is what is the best boat for this area and type of explore-fishing? It will usually be just me but if I figure it out (that's the fun part), there will be a friend along regularly. I have been looking at everything from a BT Micro to EC Fury but looking for ideas from persons with experience. Thanks
Hello all. I have been lurking here ever since we purchased a house 6 months ago on St. Helena Island In Beaufort SC. Overlooking the marsh and a tidal creek really has me wanting to explore the creeks and high tide flats while fishing. I grew up on Lake Murray in the middle of SC so I have spent a lot of time freshwater fishing but none really inshore. The million dollar question is what is the best boat for this area and type of explore-fishing? It will usually be just me but if I figure it out (that's the fun part), there will be a friend along regularly. I have been looking at everything from a BT Micro to EC Fury but looking for ideas from persons with experience. Thanks

·
I Love microskiff.com!
25 Posts
i live in SE NC but fish as far down as Charleston.I bought an East Cape Fury a year ago.best boat Ive ever owned.downsized from a 22 bay boat my Fury is dry,poles great,fast,quick and really goes shallow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Everyone,

What a great thread, very informative. Don't mean to high jack op but would love to get some insight. I am in the info gathering and research phase. I am actually thinking two boats is the answer when the time eventually comes. One with a 14" draft like a Boston Whaler or Pathfinder to serve as a family, play, fishing inshore-near shore boat and a skiff to hit the estuary.

Why are most skiffs so narrow in terms of beam? I find the beam makes the boat feel crowded.

What do people think of in terms good drafting boat? Bogue Sound/Swansboro area. Often 3 will be on boat just as often two.

I like the Action Craft 1720 Gen 3, kevlar 7"-9" draft. Also like East Evo X 4"-7" draft. I prefer the AC cuz of the beam. I am assuming the AC would be more stable and drier when running more open areas. Fished with many guides that use AC, never had a ride that was uncomfortable. How much time do you really need a boat that drafts under 7". I would guess that with either boat be it a family/fishing boat with 14" draft or my fishing boat with a 7" draft you should be able to get on fish 12 months of the year.

Thoughts, opinions and ideas.

Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
I run a Maverick Tunnel with a 60 on the back. Floats shallow, gets me to Point A and Point B. Runs maybe 35 max. I like it, but in the big water I get a little beat up. For shallow, it’s perfect. Let me know if you need help buying a place in Beaufort. I do Real Estate in the whole County.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Our son is in Beaufort and has an East Cape Glide we recently bought. So far, so good! Can’t wait to spend some time on it this spring and summer!
Did yall get the green one? I was scheduled to look at it but the person before me got it first.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a 2020 Santee 160 CC and it is fantastic in shallow water where I live.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I lived on Edisto Island for many years and fished the creeks extensively. Keeping in mind the 6 to 7 foot tide range, you will do a lot of moving around in winding creeks where you will need to run the boat while standing up in order to see. A center console is easier for this than a side console, but when I had one it always took up room in the middle of the boat when I moved around, like throwing a cast net for shrimp while alone. Since any boat will be a compromise, here's what works for me. I picked up an old beat up 15' 9" side console skiff and its trailer for $500, stripped it down and rebuilt it the way I wanted to use it. I kept the small, low console but got rid of the steering wheel. The console now is just for housing a GPS/DF with a Navionics Platinum Plus card so I have a good satellite view of the creeks in the marsh. It also holds a VHF radio. I beefed up the top of the console and mounted a grab bar for when I am standing and using the tiller extension on the motor. The boat is very stable and the center is open.

003.JPG

Finally I added a new tiller steered 30hp outboard with power tilt & trim.

006.JPG

Just another idea of the possibilities.

Reactions: Stormy Monday

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Update. I ended up getting a first gen Copperhead. It has a Oystaflage wrap which appears to be a picture of oyster bed with some grass.
20200701_120907_resized_1.jpg

20200701_120754_resized_1.jpg

The last tiller I had was a 2-Stroke Merc so I am use to the shifter in the throttle. This boat had the shifter at the base of the tiller handle. It was a pain especially using the extension so I removed it and added a shifter on the console. I can reach it standing with the extension or sitting without. It is so much easier to dock and trailer.
20200701_120808_resized_1.jpg

21 - 38 of 38 Posts