Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Agreed. I was thinking this today. If the OP wants a rod he should get one.
Agreed because let me tell you they are going to bang it into the ground, drop it, walk with the tip down. The bad ass glass might be even better because it's more durable.

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
I'd teach her with the rod I was going to have her fish with.
Then allow her to try any other rod I have.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
670 Posts
I'd actually recommend lighter. A 5 WT is much lighter. I've got 4 kids all under 14. They tire out with anything heavy. Once they have the stroke figured out, move up to heavier line weights.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Douglas DXF, great rod for feel and reasonable price. BVK is not the best rod for learning short casts, it wants to be loaded for long casts. Check the reviews on the Douglas, it is a fantastic rod for under $400.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Best kids rod out there is echo gecko. Started my girls on it when they were 6yo. I use it as my small stream rod. The rod can handle big hot fish and small fish are a blast. I’ve caught several decent sized smb and lmb with it as well as a few 20” cutties and the rod never flinched. The extended fighting butt makes all of the difference for little kids. It gives them someplace to anchor the rod when fighting fish like they would with a conventional rod. And my younger daughter enjoys casting it two handed as do I. For my younger daughter that’s now 8yo I put a 6wt line on it even though the rod is rated a 4/5. I’ve cast it with a 6wt mpx and it has no problem hitting 50ft. You have to slow your stroke but you feel it load nicely which i think is a good thing for beginners. Best part is if you buy it new for $110 or so when you are done with it I’m pretty sure you can sell it for $70-80. There’s always someone out there looking for one.

·
Registered
542 Posts
What about the Lamson? It’s been a great flood tide rod for me. Although I’ve only used it when wading, so haven’t had to make any casts over 40 ft, but it’s been very accurate and under $400

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
@Feather Thrower TFO Mangrove, hands down. I've put several new casters in these rods and they are easy to learn with and then become a rod you can continue to use. Absolutely a great rod. Also perfect for redfish, bass and also the price is good.

Stay away from fast and fast+ rods - there just isn't enough feel and it might shut down their progress. I did see mention of Echo Bad Ass Glass - that is an acquired taste and I would not recommend it to a new caster. It has a different feel since it is fiberglass.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Best kids rod out there is echo gecko. Started my girls on it when they were 6yo. I use it as my small stream rod. The rod can handle big hot fish and small fish are a blast. I’ve caught several decent sized smb and lmb with it as well as a few 20” cutties and the rod never flinched. The extended fighting butt makes all of the difference for little kids. It gives them someplace to anchor the rod when fighting fish like they would with a conventional rod. And my younger daughter enjoys casting it two handed as do I. For my younger daughter that’s now 8yo I put a 6wt line on it even though the rod is rated a 4/5. I’ve cast it with a 6wt mpx and it has no problem hitting 50ft. You have to slow your stroke but you feel it load nicely which i think is a good thing for beginners. Best part is if you buy it new for $110 or so when you are done with it I’m pretty sure you can sell it for $70-80. There’s always someone out there looking for one.
^^^^^^^^^^ This seems to be the best idea presented so far.

Then go buy yourself whatever rod you want. Even a big strong extra coordinated 11 year old is not going to have much success with a full size saltwater rod.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
959 Posts
I'm teaching my 10-year old on an Eagle Claw Featherweight. It's something of a 5/6wt but I put 7wt line on it to help him feel it better. It's like $30 and frankly it's fun as hell to fish with. I probably wouldn't use it in the marsh but it's a blast to use it pond-hopping for bass & bream.

If you want to use it in the marsh I would recommend a Cabelas CGR 7wt and put something like a Redington Behemoth reel on it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'm teaching my 10-year old on an Eagle Claw Featherweight. It's something of a 5/6wt but I put 7wt line on it to help him feel it better. It's like $30 and frankly it's fun as hell to fish with. I probably wouldn't use it in the marsh but it's a blast to use it pond-hopping for bass & bream.

If you want to use it in the marsh I would recommend a Cabelas CGR 7wt and put something like a Redington Behemoth reel on it.
I have a two, three and five year old that share one of those. They have been jamming into the ground since they were all one or two. We also use a practice caster inside. They also try to mess with my own rods but I don't let that go on very long.

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
a two, three and five year old
I keep a few push button spin casters just for the "little ones"
along with some bobbers.
I don't know if 5/6 year olds have the coordination yet to be fly casters,
but they have a blast fishing bobbers with a little help.

·
Registered
640 Posts
TFO NXT combo might work. I believe they are used for training by some instructors
this is what I keep in my boat for anglers struggling with a faster rod.

the rod is rated as 8/9 wt. I put 8wt flats pro on it and it is pretty enjoyable to cast with good feedback and the ability to shoot line.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I keep a few push button spin casters just for the "little ones"
along with some bobbers.
I don't know if 5/6 year olds have the coordination yet to be fly casters,
but they have a blast fishing bobbers with a little help.
Agreed on coordination.

I’m going to stick to the fly when it’s just me with the kids. We did a boat trip and found macs and stripers which they loved on spinning gear.

Right now I make it all about the other stuff. Mostly finding crabs and looking for fish. I had my five year old on my back and she saw a fish which got her pretty pumped up.

Crab masters find crabs while I look for wakes:

E9B4A1F8-0569-46C9-B364-D53FB72227F5.jpeg
E2BADC7C-8FF4-4A2A-B858-3A6A2E4E1133.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
If they can ride a bike they should be able to cast a fly rod... :)

BTW,
about the 11 year old.
I mentioned get her the rod he wanted her to fish with. The good about that is it's a rod he'd like to have and if it were somehow to turn out she couldn't cast it that would be a pretty good excuse reason to get another one. :) win win :)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts