Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Im fairly new to poling and picked up an old fiberglass pole of a buddy who had no use for it. Long story short about a foot and a half up the pole from the foot it snapped, so now i need a new pole. Can some of you more experienced guys point me in the right direction. I have a 98 16 bonefisher with a 90 4 stroke suzuki on it, so she isnt a modern day tech poling skiff. Specifically looking for solid reliable brands that will get the job done, as we as what lenght to get. I would prefer to keep the cost fairly low since im pretty new to poling in general. Also completely unrelated but does the foot style make a difference on certain types of bottoms? For example, does one foot style perform better on soft bottom than another? Im primarily fishing sea grass beds, and soft mud that will you will sink in if you step on it, but I occasionally fish over hard bottom. Gonna be chasing bones and permit in the keys and biscayne bay, as well as reds, snook, and tarpon in the glades.

Thanks for the advice its really appreciated by a younger less experienced guy like me.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,235 Posts
20-22' pole would be a good length. Stiffy hybrid is a really good all around push pole. From what I've read, Moonlighter makes a decent pole at a reasonable price. Try to get a carbon or carbon/glass blend pole. The lighter pole makes a huge difference.

The V or duckbill end is generally used on softer bottoms to give you some more area to push against. The pointed end is used on harder bottoms, like sand and rock. I have also found that the pointy end tends to be a little quieter if there is scattered shell/rocks where you are pushing.

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,415 Posts
While I now own a Carbon Marine G3LR and absolutely love it, it wouldn't be my suggestion for you due to several reasons like cost, experience and your boat. Have owned both Stiffy Hybrid and Biscayne poles previously and either would work fine for you and the weight of Bonefisher. You can really lean into either without worrying about damage. I'd go with a 20 or 21-footer for your application.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I would say that no matter the user's experience level or boat choice, you want the longest pole you are willing to carry, and the lightest one you can afford.

I would also recommend a 21' Stiffy Hybrid for a good compromise of price/weight/durability. Avoid the multi-piece models and make the drive to your nearest dealer for a solid one-piece pole.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,497 Posts
The "Y" foot is for mud and grass the pointy end is for hard bottom. A glass pole is heavier but that keeps it from floating up as you pole and they are less expensive. A graphite pole will float up while poling, its lighter easier to handle but more expensive. With your boat you need at a minimum a 21' pole
polecat.com has both poles at reasonable prices

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'll second (or 3rd or 4th) the votes for a Stiffy Hybrid and getting a pole at least 21 feet. Some people new to poling think a shorter pole like 18 feet would be easier to manage, but the opposite is true. With a longer pole, you will end up holding it in about the middle between plants, and then the weight is well balanced and you don't feel it as much. You can also make a longer push, reducing the number of plants you have to make. If the pole is too short, you'll find yourself holding it more toward the end and only getting a couple feet per push, then having to retrieve it and plant it again much more often.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts