Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking to buy a new push pole and I think I want a one piece push pole. Currently have a 19 6 mangrove from Carbon Marine that has water trapped inside and is shedding fibers (my own fault for leaving on boat for a year). I am looking at stiffy hybrid, graphite, and maybe the stiffy guide or carbon marine g3lr. Any feedback is helpful. Do I need to worry about graphite pole shedding? I plan on keeping the new pole stored in pvc tube. Will this eliminate the chance of fiber shedding?

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,200 Posts
Absolutely. If it ain't guava, it ain't crap.

Seriously, have really enjoyed my CM G3LR push pole. But Stiffy makes a fine product, too. Keep it unflexed and out of the weather and either brand will give years of service.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
127 Posts
Stiffy, lightest you can afford. Carbon Marine is a fantastic company, I buy from as much as I can, but by their own numbers Stiffy is lighter. I’d get the guide or extreme as long as you afford, I use a 24’ guide. And get the Carbon Marine Skiff Gear mud foot, unbridged

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,657 Posts
TM-

Reactions: eightwt

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
9,132 Posts
You know better...
I will have one that’s fully removeable along with the battery this year but there’s not a trolling motor on the market that can run in the foot deep back lakes we fish around here without cavitating and scaring off every fish on the flat. They’ve been run over so much I do good to get 30-40 feet from most of them in the last couple of years. I used to pole right up next to reds and catch them a couple feet off the rod tip but those days are over in this area. Too much shoreline burning and pressure. Trolling motors have their place but it’s not back lake skinny water fishing.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
20 year old polecat fiberglass. Beat the snot out of, bend the hell out of it. Few years ago lightly sanded, hit it with a torch and resprayed a finish. However I need a new one as it has gotten too short over the years as I wear off end and have to cut and remount point.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
View attachment 93674 Never mind. Don’t need a new one. Found this just outside this morning. It’s not guava, but it should do. Shave off some bark.
You're doing this all wrong...

It's a rare moment when a man stumbles upon the perfect tree. There is an alchemy that happens when your hands first touch the stump that will soon become a tool that allows you transcend the places where carbon push pole feet meet their ultimate end. The pine tree is a symbol. If you pick up a piece of wood in your skiff that is anything less than perfect it diminishes the moment, and these moments are irreplaceable.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I’ve got a 22’ CM G3LR. Super light weight but pricey. The Stiffy Hybrid as Smack said is (IMO) the best all around, the only thing I’m not a fan of is the ridges on it. It does feel indestructible though. While slightly heavier than the G3LR, the Hybrid isn’t bad at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts