Best Propeller for the 2017 Yamaha F25

Discussion in 'Prop Shop' started by Josh Stewart, Aug 21, 2017.

1. RunningOnEmpty

RunningOnEmpty I Love microskiff.com!

Everyone loves the SRA3 props.

No Bait / Lures Only likes this.
  2. CPurvis

CPurvis Well-Known Member

Ok so now I'm thinking of reproping my 2017 f25. I have it on a Skimmer Skiff 14.5. Right now I'm hitting 29/30 mph at WOT 6100 rpms with the AVP running just skimming the surface right before it starts to blow out. Hole shot is decent.I am running the stock prop with 11 1/4 pitch. Just wondering if I should mess with it or go with a 11 pitch aluminum prop with more cupping? Oh also I am running an Atlas micro jacker with no power T&T. I am not really interested in Stainless. I am looking for thoughts and opinions. I would like a little better hole shot but its not anything thats really bad. Just want to get the most out of my set up.

3. BowhunterRN

BowhunterRN Active Member

If not interested in going with SS, I would say save your money because I do not know of any aluminum prop that will out perform the stock yamaha prop. SS is where all the performance is.

4. devrep

devrep Well-Known Member

they make props with 1/4" pitch increments?

No Bait / Lures Only likes this.
  5. No Bait / Lures Only

No Bait / Lures Only I Love microskiff.com!

Aluminum props flex under power and are not usually as accurate with pitch dimensions or cupping.

6. No Bait / Lures Only

I have three different SS Props and the Power Tec is the superior one with performance and duration. Four years I have been using and only had to rehub to stay in service. Top speed is still within 1 mph original usage from new.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  7. CPurvis

A
    Apparently Yamaha does. So maybe I'll splurge and get a Stainless. Any recommendations on which direction to go?

8. Josh Stewart

Josh Stewart Well-Known Member

I run so shallow I'm reluctant to use stainless. Getting in and out from where I keep my boat at low tide is a matter of running until you run out of water. Lol! However, your advice is still invaluable. I work with Live to Fish, a fishing tackle, gear, and marine electronics company. However, you probably have to be an authorized dealer to get a deal on their props.

CPurvis likes this.
  9. No Bait / Lures Only

Not true, I can share the dealer that I purchased the prop thru. https://www.americanboatpropeller.com/ 866 306 6004

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    Josh Stewart likes this.
  10. No Bait / Lures Only

Power Tec SRA 3........

BowhunterRN likes this.
  11. CPurvis

I was referring to pitch. Should I stay with 11pitch or go down. How is the cupping on the sra3?

12. No Bait / Lures Only

With aluminum you will turn more pitch, with stainless go down at least one inch of pitch. Call prop gods and get an approximate range to start. Make sure you keep the motor rpm at max so when you load it will still be in the power band range...SRA Prop is 20 degree rake and lots of cupping

Josh Stewart and CPurvis like this.
  13. CPurvis

T
    Thanks so do you think the performance gain with the SRA3 is worth the $$$ spent on a 25hp set up? I don't want to spend a lot of $$$ for just a little bit of gain.

14. No Bait / Lures Only

My suggestion to u is to list the prop u want on this site to buy as all the boat owners have at least 2/3 props to get the right performance and so extra props should be available. I have a extra Solas Prop 13" pitch is toooo much pitch and toooo much cupping for my modified 25 Yamaha to turn enough rpm to perform. the durability of the s/s prop is sooo superior to the aluminum. And so much more service than an aluminum....

CPurvis likes this.
  15. RunningOnEmpty

RunningOnEmpty I Love microskiff.com!

The SRA prop runs like a 4x4 through soft mud and it doesn't blow out when the motor is jacked up high. Aluminum props can't compare.

16. No Bait / Lures Only

exactly my thoughts........

17. blackwagon

blackwagon I Love microskiff.com!

I have an ipb14 with a 2017 f25 too. Does your boat plow at those speeds? I’m getting the same numbers but at 29/30 the nose down is kinda crazy if there is any chop.

18. CPurvis

I had my skiff out in probably the worst chop yet this past Sunday and was very impressed with how it handled. I have the trim pin set in the third hole which gives it a slight bow up attitude but will not porpoise. Hole shot suffers a bit but not much at all. I run my battery up front. Don't notice any plowing. Are you running the stock prop?

19. blackwagon

blackwagon I Love microskiff.com!

Stock prop. I'm on the 2nd hole though. I tried the 3rd hole to get some bow rise but I got a lot of cavitation. If I have someone up front it doesn't plow (28/29mph 5800rpm)... I rode solo and at 29-30 (6000-6050) it plowed... which is weird as hell to me. I'm 260lb and my fishing buddies are around 140lbs.

My boat has a pretty noticeable "hook" in it. I shouldn't be running 30mph in chop anyways so it's not that big of a deal to me. Might be an optical illusion with the front deck sloping forward but I swear I was going to go under if I didn't let off a couple times. The front end seemed to just get lower and lower as I gained speed. I'll have to play with it some more on a calmer day than when I went out solo.

20. CPurvis

Yeah i heard the older ipb version had a hook in the bow but I think that is one of the things Bobby improved with the hull. I usually run around 20mph in a good chop.