Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Ankona SUV 17, full deck, center console with an ETEC 40. I do not know what the prop pitch is (S.S. "Viper") Hole shot with trim tabs barely down is great. With 2 people on board, (average weight 170 lbs. each) full gear with cooler, in perfect trim the best I can hit is 30 MPH WOT @ about 5100 rpm. I absolutely love the boat, I'm not out to win any races, but want to know if this is about all I should expect.

·
Cert. Yamaha technician
4,330 Posts
Imo 30mph fully loaded with a 40hp on a 17 ft skiff isnt too shabby at all.
Ive never personally ran one so i could be wrong..

·
904 Redfish
605 Posts
I would go down pitch 1 or 2 if it was me. youll get more rpm better hole shot and prob a few mph since you wot would be around 5300-5500 which is in the wot range it should be

·
I Love microskiff.com!
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.. Would there be any noticeable change or advantage to switch over to 4 blades?

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
i am running a basic alum prop 15p which increase rpm but not speed compared to 17p

same speed as you 30-32 no tabs ,tiller

I went up a hole and it seemed like I got more hull out of the water but w/o tabs I can not take advan. of the height--- squirrelly

·
I Love microskiff.com!
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounding like I'm pretty much set up with what I need and should leave it alone. The boat runs and handles very well... just wondered if I could squeeze out a few more MPH. Thanks for the input and opinions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
On my East Cape Fury, I have run my original Suz prop, PowerTech prop and just picked up, installed and sea trialed my Jack Foreman prop. Without a doubt the Jack Foreman 3bl - 12.5" x 14xxx cup prop has exceeded all the rest. I was in the marsh in skinny water yesterday and could get a hole shot and get on top in 1/2 boat length. No comparison to the other props I have run. On top and going across the bay, I ran 5100-5200 rpms with SOG of 30. I will admit I lost a couple of mpg on the top end but running 30 and fishing where I do, I don't need those couple of mph. This is the best performing prop for my EC Fury w/a Suz 60.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts