Best place to buy Minn Kota Riptide trolling motors?

Discussion in 'Power it up with Electronics' started by coconutgroves, Feb 22, 2014.

1. coconutgroves

coconutgroves Well-Known Member

I am about to buy a Minn Kota SP I-Pilot trolling motor for my 18' Kenner center console and wanted to get your opinions on where to buy, or where to avoid, buying one online.

I've searced my a$$ off and cannot find any big price differences on these. This model is $1,199 and the lowest new I've found it is $1,179. Buying online could save me taxes (I am in TX), but if I have problems, returns could be a pain.

Any tips are appreciated. Thanks.

2. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

Avoid buying online, I've returned a TM before and getting it shipped back was a PITA! Just because of it's size. Honestly if I was to buy another I would probably drive over to Bass Pro Shops.

3. jackson98

jackson98 I Love microskiff.com!

i would buy it local and just pay the extra $100. You can get it faster and if for some reason you have to return it, it would be a lot easier. Minn Kota has all their products marked at MSRP so the dealers have to sell it at that price or they get into trouble/get ban for selling them. I work at a local tackle shop here in SC and i see people who have problems with products they bought online and they are defective or not what they want. Also cheek with Minn Kota because if you buy it online you still get the warranty because i know a few products that if you buy it online it voids the warranty…

4. mikeregas

mikeregas I Love microskiff.com!

Check out Boater Exchange in Rockledge, that is where I got mine from. Not sure which model you are looking for but they had it for the same price as most online places.

5. coconutgroves

coconutgroves Well-Known Member

I went ahead and bought from Cabelas and had it shipped. There is a store about 40 minutes from me in Buda, TX, so if I run into issues I can return/exchange within 60 days.

These things are pricey though - paying $1,200 for a trolling motor is a high class problem to have. Excited though, the restore on my Kenner starts today.