Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
My favorite is one that doesn’t stink like sweat and beer.

The Smith ones with the holes do not hold up well. I like them, but find the holes wear out. I do like the lighter weight ones that breath better, but have been wearing light weight hoods more often lately to reduce more sun damage.

Whatever I do wear, I match the environment. Back woods, I wear something blends in with the mangroves and trees. Open bay / flats, something that blends with the sky. My brother showed up one day wearing all dark colors for a flats day - I told him good job dressing like the shadow of a Frigate - that’s really going to help us land fish.

·
Registered
“10K Islands adrift on a skiff,my worries escape me,with the flick of my wrist”
1,065 Posts
I hate buffs I feel like I got pantyhose on my face robbing banks. I think some drunk college kid cut his sleeves off his shirt. And then put his head in it. That was pretty much all the thought that went into it. I have tried a few different styles but never liked any. I was thinking of making something that hangs off the brim of straw hat like a curtain. To keep it off my face and let some air in and out. I did recently see these a local guide started making. They are pricey compared to a cut off shirt sleeve. But there was some definite thought put into it. Seems to address a lot of the problems

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
16,773 Posts
I hate buffs I feel like I got pantyhose on my face robbing banks. I think some drunk college kid cut his sleeves off his shirt. And then put his head in it. That was pretty much all the thought that went into it. I have tried a few different styles but never liked any. I was thinking of making something that hangs off the brim of straw hat like a curtain. To keep it off my face and let some air in and out. I did recently see these a local guide started making. They are pricey compared to a cut off shirt sleeve. But there was some definite thought put into it. Seems to address a lot of the problems

That is intriguing

·
I Love microskiff.com!
226 Posts

They make sun shield for hard hats, you could probably adopt that for a straw hat.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Rep your water makes them and they look like a buff but have pin holes weaved into the fabric. They stay on and they breathe really well wout fogging your glasses . Ever. They are also sun screen rated .
I’ve tried them all and like them the best .

·
Registered
37 Posts
Or you can be like me and always forgot the sunscreen on my ears and now I need part of my ear taken off also my good friend was FMP and lost his nose to the sun which finally killed him!
A little advice to all the young guides WEAR THE SUNSCREEN YOU WONT BE SORRY!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts