Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not even sure this is possible, but I thought someone here might know. I live on a tidal creek and have a dock with a jet skit lift. As far as I can tell this lift will easily fit a microskiff. But, in addition to fishing by myself or with a friend, I would also like to take my wife and 3 kids out on short boat rides. Are there any microskiffs that would work for me in this scenario?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a microskiff buyers guide on here somewhere? I don't even know where to start and google is not turning up much to help. Do you normally buy straight from the manufacture or do you go through a dealer for a microskiff?

·
Soy un Perdedor
2,615 Posts
Not a problem. I had my 17.8 Hells Bay on a jet ski lift with no issues.

The lift was a Hi-Tide Spinner lift 2500lb capacity.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Budget, location, targeted species?
I am on a tidal creek in Jacksonville FL. The creek dries up for about 15 minutes at low tide. Redfish, trout, flounder, tarpon, snook.

I have hobie kayaks but this will be my first microskiff. Are there any top recommendations or skiff ratings somewhere?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,815 Posts
I am on a tidal creek in Jacksonville FL. The creek dries up for about 15 minutes at low tide. Redfish, trout, flounder, tarpon, snook.

I have hobie kayaks but this will be my first microskiff. Are there any top recommendations or skiff ratings somewhere?
I'm not aware of any small skiffs that hold 5 people legally. You are looking for a bay boat.

·
Carpe Diem
1,806 Posts

Here are some listings near you that I find interesting.. It really depends on your budget and style.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
464 Posts
I'm not aware of any small skiffs that hold 5 people legally. You are looking for a bay boat.
This is generally true, but some manufacturers don't even list the person capacity, just the weight capacity. With three small kids, he could be under the capacity on some skiffs. My boat would do what you are asking pretty well - capacity plate says 5 persons, drafts about 9 inches, and is in Jacksonville. I take my family of 5 on it fairly regularly. Couple people on a bean bag up front, and then I have a backrest for the rear seat so that the kids don't go flying off the stern.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My boat would do what you are asking pretty well - capacity plate says 5 persons, drafts about 9 inches, and is in Jacksonville.

Is there a place around here to buy a skiff? Or do I have to go custom order them straight from the manufacturer? I've contacted a few boat makers and they said they have a 14-18 month timeframe to build something and there is a waitlist!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
464 Posts
I'd look at Atlantic Coast Marine, but you're picking the wrong time to buy a boat lol. This is the worst case of supply exceeding demand that I have ever witnessed. Motor manufacturers are saying there is a 1+ year wait to get a new motor in some cases (Mercury and Yamaha.) I'd look for a good used boat - this forum, hulltruth, boattrader are all good spots.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
The issue isn't a skiff on a jet skiff lift. Depending on the lift capacity lots of skiffs would work. The issue is 5 people on a skiff. Even if three are kids. And in some respects kids are even worse because they are going to want all their "stuff" too.

Skiffs are not meant to be 5 people boats.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,815 Posts
This is generally true, but some manufacturers don't even list the person capacity, just the weight capacity. With three small kids, he could be under the capacity on some skiffs. My boat would do what you are asking pretty well - capacity plate says 5 persons, drafts about 9 inches, and is in Jacksonville. I take my family of 5 on it fairly regularly. Couple people on a bean bag up front, and then I have a backrest for the rear seat so that the kids don't go flying off the stern.
I'm surprised that an IPB 18 has a 5 person capacity if its the same as the seahunter 18. Its like 900 lbs dry weight plus difference of a 115 or 150 and with fuel another almost 400 lbs. It's basically a bay/flats boat vs. a skiff. Sure there's a bunch in that category. Just not a skiff and certainly not a MicroSkiff. A shore master jets lift can lift 5-800 lbs. Your boat would collapse the lift too.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
464 Posts
I'm surprised that an IPB 18 has a 5 person capacity if its the same as the seahunter 18. Its like 900 lbs dry weight plus difference of a 115 or 150 and with fuel another almost 400 lbs. It's basically a bay/flats boat vs. a skiff. Sure there's a bunch in that category. Just not a skiff and certainly not a MicroSkiff. A shore master jets lift can lift 5-800 lbs. Your boat would collapse the lift too.
Right, but there aren't any 300-400 pound microskiffs that are going to accommodate 5 people. Just trying to read between the lines on the OP's post and help him out. You make a good point about the lift - I didn't realize they are only good for 5-800 pounds.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,815 Posts
Hells Bay Guide 18 weighs 695 lbs and can accommodate 4 adults. Advertised draft of 4.5". You could prob get away with 3 children but don't want USCG seeing it I'm guessing. Will get you around, but, prob don't want to cross big water with that many people.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm not even sure this is possible, but I thought someone here might know. I live on a tidal creek and have a dock with a jet skit lift. As far as I can tell this lift will easily fit a microskiff. But, in addition to fishing by myself or with a friend, I would also like to take my wife and 3 kids out on short boat rides. Are there any microskiffs that would work for me in this scenario?
I had the same scenario. I upgraded my jet ski lift motor from 1/4 to 1/2hp and put on extended bunks. It holds my 16' Rocky Creek skiff with poling platform and a Yamaha 40hp tiller just perfectly. The boat, motor, and accessories probably weigh about 700#'s with a full 6 gallon tank of fuel. The Rocky Creek is works great in all situations.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts