Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just looking for tips to snake some wires from a hard to reach hole in my floor of my console toward the bow and stern. I understand that pulling wires through using old wires is probably the best method, however if that's not an option, would you recommend using a steel fish tape or anything else to try and snake my wires through? I haven't started this project yet so I don't know how complicated it will get, just looking for advice from more experienced guys.
Boat - Maverick Mirage 16'

Thanks!

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
9,040 Posts
Use an old existing wire to pull some good paracord through and leave it long so you can use it again to pull wires if you ever want to add any. It’s strong and rot resistant.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Use an old existing wire to pull some good paracord through and leave it long so you can use it again to pull wires if you ever want to add any. It’s strong and rot resistant.
Great idea, I will do that.

What would you recommend to get wires through to my bow if i cant use the old wire? I think theyre screwed into the underside of the deck so i dont know if i will be able to pull old wires.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
For fishing wires and cables through one channel or other.. remember that the junctions between your fish wire and whatever you're pulling needs to be as smooth as possible. I was taught (all those years ago) to use masking tape for the transition then coat it lightly with dish detergent to act as a lube...

Hope this helps... Aren't boats fun?

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,187 Posts
Capt. Lemay already noted the use of dish detergent. In addition to that, I use black electricians tape since the coating is slicker than masking. Over-wrap the tag ends and taper the tape for a smoother transition. You might check with your local mechanic/marina. They'll often have discarded cable steering wire, which makes for a great and reusable fish tape.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts