Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Salt Marsh Heron 16
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fishy friends. I'm back again with more questions regarding my Heron 16 build coming up in January.

I'm looking for the best GPS + sonar combo for my Heron 16. I'm assuming 7" screen will be plenty big but I'm looking for opinions from the experts on this one.

Let me know your favorite units, sizes, and what will work best for fishing the west coast of Florida (inshore, nearshore) as well as work well specifically with the Heron 16 (center console).

Also let me know any complaints you have about your current setup and what you would change. I want to make sure every decision on this boat is meticulously thought out so I cant complain about it later.

·
Curmudgeon Emeritus
1998 Egret C/K 167
5,468 Posts
Start with "what chart" do you want to run. If you want to run the FMT chart then the options for GPS becomes more limited. If you run the FMT then 9" screen.

·
Registered
2022 Salt Marsh Heron 16
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Start with "what chart" do you want to run. If you want to run the FMT chart then the options for GPS becomes more limited. If you run the FMT then 9" screen.
I'm guessing FMT is top of the line for inshore charts from what I have heard around and on the Ankona owner's FB page. You're correct - if I choose FMT I will be limited to Simrad, Lowrance, or B&G.

·
Registered
Salt Marsh Heron 16
35 Posts
I have the Heron 16 and use FMT with a Lowrance HDS 9 Gen 3. This Heron has the smaller console, not the current one. I have it mounted on a RAM mount. Would have liked the Simrad NSS EVO 3 but could not justify the extra $1,000+ price over the Lowrance.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I would get as big as you can afford and with florida marine tracks as stated.. to me the bigger screen is better for small let boats because we run shallow around rocks oyster n such. I believe bigger better you can zoom in more and see further out on the screen

·
Curmudgeon Emeritus
1998 Egret C/K 167
5,468 Posts
I ran a HDS 7 Gen2 with the FMT chip on my scout that I sold. Kept the chip. It's "doable" with a 7" but realistically 9" is the minimum I would suggest pend available space.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.