Best Lift design for a Hell’s Bay Skiff

Discussion in 'Forum FAQ and General Info' started by Wise Guy, May 13, 2018.

1. Wise Guy

Wise Guy Active Member

Help. I’ve just gotten my first skiff, a 2015 Hell’s Bay Professional, that I launched and took into Greens Lake Galveston. All great til I tried to put on my boat lift (flat skids) and cant figure out how to get down to the plugs to drain the boat. I finally got to them by climbing like a monkey around the back of the lift, but no water came out eventhough I just washed the skiff. I know there’s water in there bc if I trailer the boat and wench it up it flows out. I cut my foot on the trim tab getting back out from under the lift and spent 2 hours in the emergency room getting stitches. Does anyone keep their skiff on a lift and have you found a solution to accessing the plugs and keeping a pitch that allows the water to drain? Also, I’ve seen these remote drain plugs with cables advertised, which may help the limited access problem if you can get the pitch right. Anyone ever put these on a Hells Bay?

2. jay.bush1434

jay.bush1434 I Love microskiff.com!

I have my East Cape Vantage backed into my boat house sitting on a cradle. The Vantage has 3 hull plugs, 1 in the center to drain the bilge and 1 on the sides of each sponson. The plugs are hollow metal that are captive to the fitting. I can easily reach the sponson plugs but to get the bilge plug, I open the bilge access hatch and reach down and twist the plug open. Since they are captive there is no worry about me dropping them.

To get the water to drain out of the hull, I adjusted my cradle cables so the bow sits a few inches higher. Water drains no problem. I'm down on Tiki Island so if you want to come by and see the set up, just message me.

3. Wise Guy

Wise Guy Active Member

4. Wise Guy

Wise Guy Active Member

Thank you Jay, I’ll take you up on that offer! I’m fumbling around for the first time on this website trying to figure out how to post now I got to figure out how to send a private message to get hold of you.

jay.bush1434 likes this.
  5. sjrobin

sjrobin I Love microskiff.com!

You could convert that HB exterior drain plug to an old school interior removable plug or keep the skiff on the trailer in your garage. (Best) Never stand or even consider putting your feet on the trim tabs. Keep 911 on speed dial or re-consider going up on the platform to pole your new skiff.

6. jay.bush1434

Zoom in on the pic and you can see the drain plugs are open. Also, since this pic, I have added guide posts to the crossbeams. On the front guide post by the lift control, I put a mark showing my clearance depth for the motor. Very handy when the tide drops while I’m out fishing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    Wise Guy likes this.
  7. Net 30

Net 30 Soy un Perdedor

I had a 2001 Professional that I kept on my lift and it was always a PIA too get the sponson drains. Only way to do it was to lay on your belly under the platform legs, hang your shoulders over the transom and reach your hands to the sponson corners. It always sucked at the end of a trip to have to open those as the last step in skiff clean up.

Reminded me each time that it sucks to get older.......:oops:

Your lift can be adjusted by your installer by shortening up the front cables to give you the right pitch for draining.

8. StrayDog

StrayDog Well-Known Member

DaddyMenace likes this.
  9. Wise Guy

Wise Guy Active Member

10. Wise Guy

Wise Guy Active Member

Thanks for the tips. Jay, I’ll come see your set up. I think you are saying one option is to back the boat in so you can access the plugs from the boat dock (or is that purely bc of a constraint imposes by the neighboring dock?) Backing in could get old but I sense adding those Gemlux plugs may be in the future the next time I pull the boat out. Seem pretty slick.

11. Wise Guy

Wise Guy Active Member

12. jay.bush1434

I have been backing my boats into the slip as long as I have had a slip. It makes it easier to get on/off the boat, easier to flush the engine, change the prop, add trim fluid, get to my hull plugs and most importantly it looks cool. :cool: Yes it does take a little more boat handling skills but you get those from practice and practice means you were out using your boat. Who doesn’t want to use their boat more...

13. Wise Guy

Wise Guy Active Member

Amen, 20 years ago I’d just jump in the water each time without thinking about it. Too old for that now.

14. Gatorgrizz27

Gatorgrizz27 I Love microskiff.com!

Why not just add a walk board behind the rear cradle beam? Would fix your plug issue and help with lower unit maintenance, etc.

The other easy option is keeping a lightweight 10’ kayak or paddle board on the dock and using that.

15. MariettaMike

MariettaMike Wish'n I was Fish'n!