Best eating

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Brett, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Daytona Kemo posted from Why Snook Rule:
    [
    Pompano are just another jack. Down in the Keys the
    boys wanted the "big name" fish. We'd run offshore for dolphin,
    stop on the way back and hit the deep reefs for yellowtail, muttons,
    grouper and grey snapper. We'd fish 'till they had all the meat
    they wanted. Then just outside Angelfish Creek, North Key Largo,
    we'd stop at a place we called the "Hole in the Donut". A single coral head
    about the size of a '63 VW bug that sits in a small circle of sand. There while
    they relaxed and ate lunch I would grab a light spinner and drop a 1/4oz sinker
    and a small hook tipped with whatever was left in the baitwell and put
    a dozen Key West Porkchops in the cooler for myself. What's a Key West Porkchop?
    They're better known as the White Grunt. Easy to catch, easy to clean, easy to cook.
    The best eating fish there is. The true chicken of the sea!

2. B.Lee

B.Lee Well-Known Member

I would have to cross trout off the list anymore.  Not really that great in the first place, and around here there is a 50/50 chance it will be full of worms.  I quit messing with them, but still like catching them.

Aside from that, I like most any fish honestly.  Lower slot reds are good, whiting, black drum.  Oh, tripletail is great!

Hands down, though, my current favorite is rare tuna.  Grilled, seared, warmed up a little, or cold, that stuff is good!  The grilled lunch special at Grille's in PC could possibly be my top ten all time favorite meal.  

Sorry, I got a little sidetracked, it's lunchtime, and I'm starving.  Probably not the most objective time to answer this one...

3. deerfly

deerfly Opinicus iracibilus

ditto on the grunts, might be a tad small but easily one of the best eating and easy to catch.

Grey snapper would probably be next on my list for taste and ease to catch, then grouper for the inshore/near shore stuff. You can hook and line them but not consistently so a Hawiian Sling is the ticket for hogfish, which is nearly as good a crawfish in my book.

Snook can taste like the water they're caught in, so while pretty good eating most of the time, its not uncommon to catch some that don't taste so good. These days I'd rather eat fried chicken and release all the snook I catch, but in my formative days keeping a limit was the norm.

I think pompano is a bit over rated too, delicious for sure, but not deserving of the hype. Some people don't like spanish mackeral but I love them.

Cobia are really good too, but hard to catch consistently.

The offshore stuff is of course good too. Whaoo, blackfin, yellowfin, tripletail and naturally dolphin.

But at the end of the day, the redneck in me loves to fry up a mess of panfish, bluegills in the sweet water, snapper and grunts from the brine. Always fun to catch and eat. :cool:

4. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

In the late '50s, snook went by the name of "soapfish".
    Nobody ate them. Then the art of filleting spread and
    after boning, skinning and bloodline removal, snook turned
    put to be a pretty tasty meal. But you can still get a hint
    of Ivory liquid in an unseasoned, steamed fillet.
    As for Hogfish, as a diving buddy put it:
    "No, you can't have it. You bet your wrasse I'm gonna eat it!"
    Small snapper and grunts are so closely related that once cleaned
    and pan fried, I can't tell the difference.
    When catching grunts we had a throwback rule:
    If when you gripped the grunt around the middle of it's body,
    your fingertips touched your thumb, you threw it back.
    And a grunt that left a 1" or greater gap from thumb to
    fingertips was called a "Grown". (ie: fullgrown)
    The biggest white grunt I ever caught weighed 4 lbs
    and was 22" long. Came out of Pennekamp.

Want to get really scared? Seafood is getting toxic due to
    the contaminants we allow to be dumped into our waterways.

< http://www.doh.state.fl.us/floridafishadvice/MEFG.htm >

Read this and understand this is the maximum recommended
    frequency of consumption. Fish I used to eat every day are now
    unsafe to eat more than once a week.

Hey Deerfly, check out cobia.
    B.Lee, see tuna.
    For those who like king mackerel, don't!

Be afraid, be very afraid!

5. Kemo

Kemo The world is flat....and shallow.

Thanks, Brett, for starting a new post on this subject. I almost never see any posts about eating fish, only catching them, so I didn't bother. :p I grew up fishing small ponds and creeks and I agree with Deerfly that there is absolutely nothing like a pan fried bluegill if caught in really fresh water. The bluegills caught it FL are fun to catch, but don't taste anything like the ones caught in truly fresh water. And I also agree that there are many fish that a lot of people shun that are really good to eat. I used to go out for tripletail in the Mississipi Sound for the express reason of getting something for dinner. They'd hang out under the bouys when the tide was strong in the ICW and were a blast to catch. I caught a 5 pounder once, and it was like latching on to a 5 LB bluegill! Well, everyone has their favorites, and it's nice to see that we don't all release everything we catch. I was beginning to wonder if it was all just sport fishing with the other forum members and I was the only one who ate fish. (Although some of the pics posted from different get-togethers prove that at least some of you like to eat something.) ;D

6. JRH

JRH Well-Known Member

My favorite is a dolphin caper recipe that my father makes over white rice.

2nd favorite would be rare tuna filleted on the back of the boat hours after it's been caught. Fillet knife in the right hand and a bottle of soy sauce in the left hand. Yum, yum.

I wouldn't consider pompano overrated. It's one of my favorites and along with tripletail are two fish that I enjoy with just some lemon and pepper and no other crazy seasonings....

7. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

I'll take a plate of Hweh, Kimchi, Malgeunguk soup, flavored with Ganjangand a side of Saengchae wash it down with some Soju. Then for desert Tteok.

;D

8. deerfly

who would have thought 30 years ago that fish caught from Biscayne and Florida bay's would be more toxic than anywhere else in the state. :( Sad, really sad to think about.

9. deerfly

all I got out of that was something about ganja

10. costefishnt

costefishnt Cost Efish'nt³

bluegill and crappie. I am a man of the salt. born on it, raised on it, but sometimes fresh water tastes better.

brett, i too ate fish daily, either what we (family caught) or what we could afford. I was a poor black child (reference "the jerk") so we grew, killed and caught the majority of our food. back in the mid to late 70's when i was nothing more than kneehigh to a grasshopper we fished the lagoon for trout. reds although were coming into the mainstream were rarely kept. we were all about the trout. Keep in mind this was at the height of titusville dumping raw sewage into the indian river lagoon. despite this the trout were some of the best eating fish on the water. we then discovered some "untouched fresh water holes around the merrit island refuge which were home to some of the biggest bluegills I have ever seen, even to this day. yes it took a mess of em, but easy as pie to catch, easy to clean, and even easier to cook in an old black iron skillet.

crappie came into my life when we got a chance to fish on my grandpas boat, he would run us in lake okeechobee, or bring it up here and run the st johns. crappie, like bluegills are easy to catch (Seasonal of coarse) easy to clean, and yet again the old black iron skillet made them taste like heaven.

these days, I dont keep any fish, unless i fear for it's survival, which is rare. I get most of my fresh fish from teh local market or restyurants. even then, maybe 3 times a month. It isn't froma fear of toxins, its from a fact I can now afford to eat the things I missed as a kid. I am a firm believer in You Only Live Once, i will not eat whats the trend because some scientest said so. My family is majority cherokee and irish. they ate what they had and lived long lives. I eat what I have, and well, when my time is up, I got no say in the matter.

(for all of you whom wish to jump in and tell me I can prolong my life for my kids sake, don't bother. I also believe in mind over matter when it comes to health. i could also be killed by lightening.)

incidently, I still have the old black skillet. has about 40-50 years of cookin on it. never gets washed, just wiped out with a wet rag a wipe with a papertowel and bacon grease. yes...i still save my bacon grease.

wow. that was a long post. cliff notes are not available. sorry.

11. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Mmmmmmmm....crappie, reminds me of winter nights
    with minnows on a crappie pole under the lights at the campground
    marina on the west side of Okeechobee. Catch a batch, clean em,
    dip in milk and egg wash, roll in corn meal and skillet fry in
    bacon grease! Now there's a great memory. The roof of my
    mouth has scars from popping a still sizzling chunk of fish in too fast.

12. deerfly

yeah crappie, didn't mention em because we never caught that many. 99% of the time we got them during down time duck hunting while camped on the levee there at Indian Prairie, NW corner of the lake. We'd fish for crappie at night and shiner fish for bass during mid day if we we'ren't napping before the afternoon hunt. They are really good tasting and plump for slab fish too.

OK, since we're at it how about gigging bull frogs, now there's some redneck fun and super fine eating. :cool:

13. costefishnt

costefishnt Cost Efish'nt³

I am tellin you what, I was born way past teh time I should have been alive. You old geezers keep reminding me of "the good 'ol days."

I aint never met a frog that didnt look good at the end of steel, cept the ones in the ol black iron skillet! used to love to watch my mom clean our frogs then throw em in the skillet with nothing more than egg milk and cornmeal. those legs went to town with a quick dance which made me laughg my head off. then we'd pick every last tendon off them jokers....

I need to get on some story time with you elders. maybe i can share some nice home brewed corn wiskey over a true southern dinner of all that swims, flys, hops, or grazes with a side of fresh greens and grilled corn bread....my tounge just slapped the roof of my mouth. need food!!!!

14. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

I wasn't allowed to run the gig. My job was to make sure they ended
    up in the bucket.The owner of the airboat was proud of his ability
    to judge a frogs size by the distance between the glows of it's eyes.
    At speed, in the dark, in an airboat, he could sit in the high chair
    and steer with one hand, light em up with his headlamp and gig 'em
    with the other hand. Then swing the gig back and slam it aginst the rim
    of the bucket which would knock them off. Most times they'd end up
    in the bucket but if they didn't my job was to toss em in.
    Sounds easy huh? You try it in the dark, on an aluminum airboat
    with no sides, with a cadillac engine with straight pipes spinning the
    fan, pushing along at 20 plus mph through the sawgrass. Cleaning 'em
    was fun too. Gators would gather at the landing at the levee, and as
    we skinned and snipped above the hips, we'd toss the chunks to the
    herd and watch them tussle. Later at the camp, fresh frog legs were
    still twitching when you dropped 'em in the deep fryer. Cooked till
    they start to float all crispy brown. Tossed on a plate with steaming
    hot corn on the cob, a slice of watermelon, cole slaw, jug of sweet tea
    and a bottle of Crystal hot sauce on the side. That still sounds like
    fun and mighty tasty today!

15. deerfly

I used to gig the heck out of them in my airboat, but we used a mesh bag strapped to the bottom of an aluminum tube with a notch in the top with 3 evenly spaced prongs in the notch. We mounted the tube up near the top of the grass rake. If you were right handed then the tube was at the top right corner of the rake so it was easy to reach. Then when you gigged a frog you just slipped it down over those prongs and yank the gig back and the frog dropped through the tube into the mesh bag. When we were done you just lift the bag a bit to get the frogs down near the bottom, twist a few times and untie it from the tube to go clean them.

16. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Forgive us, we were only self trained amateurs. Even the airboat
    was garage built. No Lycoming engines for us. Just that monster
    cadillac engine we pulled from a junker and rebuilt. He was a
    machinist for Eastern and had more tools than anyone I've ever met.
    He loved running the sawgrass to find ponds no one ever fished,
    and catching so many fish that no one believed him untill they went
    on a trip with him.

17. deerfly

not to one up ya there bro, but I built my airboat from scratch too. Actually most of the guys I ran with built their own as well. I wouldn't say we were experts but we were 2nd and 3rd generation glades redneck kids, so we learned a lot from our fathers and mentors. We couldn't afford a new Gary Thurmond hull, so we built them our selves. One of the guys was a welder for the Dade County School board so he did all the tricky and critical welding. As typical redneck kids we all worked on our own cars too, so learning how to rebuild the Lycoming engines wasn't much different than working on a VW pancake engine. Of course we'd screw one up now and then, but that was part of the fun and experience. We bought run-out Lycoming engines and rebuilt them from black market aircraft parts. A few of the guys ran Continental ground power units because they were a lot cheaper, but didn't have the HP to weight ratio of the Lycomings, so they were always getting stuck or just didn't run every where the rest of us went. During the hunting season we'd have spare jugs, pistons/rings and what not in camp or back in a truck toolbox somewhere in case someone smoked a piston or something.

I wish I had a flat bad film scanner I'd post the pics of mine start to finish. It was 10' full deck grass boat with a Lycoming O-320 160hp. Could run dry ground all day or 65-70mph on dew. :)

In the winter or during the really dry season we ran the glades for gator holes too. Mostly we put in at the 40 mile bend and ran North along the L-28 canal towards the tower out there at the Indian Reservation. It was nothing to catch a few dozen bass or 50-60 bluegills in the bigger holes. The bass were never big, mostly yearlings to maybe 3lbs tops. Now the L-28 canal itself had some bruisers in it though. There's a guy that comes on this site now and then that guides people on that canal with a Gheenoe, but he fishes more near Tamiami Trail than we did from the airboats, but he regularly gets into some nice bass. Haven't seen him post in a while tho.

Anyway, frogging is probably the biggest thing I miss about not having that airboat anymore. :(

18. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

You aren't one-upping. I didn't build the airboat. Too young at the
    time. I was the go-fer. He did the work and supplied the know how.
    My job was cleanup, tool fetching, and "hold this boy". Learned most
    of what I know about engines from watching and helping him.
    That old caddy engine was just about fool proof. With the radiator
    under the high chair and easy access to the engine through the cage,
    maintaining it was too easy. Parts were cheap. Spare points, rotor,
    condenser, coil and distributor cap would solve 99% of the engine
    problems back in the sawgrass.

I miss the camps on the heads back in Big Cypress that Park service
    shut down. Some of those camps were more comfortable than the
    homes we lived in.

19. galleta_loco

galleta_loco Well-Known Member

Specks [smiley=yahoo.gif]

20. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

I hear ya loud and clear you crazy cracker!