Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far Ive only used Rio Summer Redfish fly line. I Love the way it casts but I find that the outer coating cracks after a few times fishing in the grass (perhaps because of the line rubbing against the spartina grass when retrieving the fly or shooting when wade fishing). I'm looking for a more durable fly line that has a relatively small head for short casts.

·
Noobin' it up!
113 Posts
Haven't experimented much with different lines but I like using a 12' tapered leader for floods, seems to move easier through the grass and gives me more distance from line to fly.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,513 Posts
The Airflo Ridge line may be worth a shot. It was very durable for me...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,211 Posts
Scientific anglers lines are very durable, I would suggest their redfish taper.

When I use to use Rio lines a good bit I always ended up with a cracked line after the first season of good use as well. Been very happy swapping most my lines to SA.

·
Registered
'04 HB Devilray Merc 25 HP
1,048 Posts
Scientific anglers lines are very durable, I would suggest their redfish taper.

When I use to use Rio lines a good bit I always ended up with a cracked line after the first season of good use as well. Been very happy swapping most my lines to SA.
i find airflo and SA the best lines overall... wulff is made by SA

RIO is the only brand of line i have had fall apart on me...more than once
May be just the fly line. Fun Fact: SA produces most of Rio's fly lines to Rio's Specs.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,531 Posts
Thanks for the input. Gonna throw my Rio in the trash, get some SA and see how it goes.
If you are trashing lines fishing flood tides, how about SA Air Cel line. It is a basic line but it is only $30 vs $90 for SA Amplitude (one of my favorites). Cortland 333SL is a good basic line that won't cost so much if you are having to replace your lines every few weeks.

Also, instead of throwing your fly line in the trash, recycle it by sending it to Fly Vines. They'll even send you a fly line lanyard/bracelet/key chain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
SA Amplitude is the best that I've used. I throw the Grand Slam taper in the amplitude and the mastery (if you're not looking to pay as much). I've found it out preforms and holds up way better than Rio lines

1 - 18 of 18 Posts