Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Best Camo For Skiffs

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  robbrown64 
#1 ·
I've seen a lot of posts about ways to hide your skiff. Here's how I do it. I've created a blind that covers the entire boat from the waterline to the top of my head. It sits on the boat and straps in place so there's no drilling or boat mods necessary.
The blind frame is made of hinged fiberglass tubes, an old push pole or a old Shakespeare 390-1 works well. Just cut and fiberglass pieces together. I mount them to angled aluminum for the hinge and bolt to a 2x4. the 2x4 has carpet on the bottom so not to scratch the boat. then the board is strapped down to cleats or whatever.
The curtains are made from a plastic mesh material I got at home depot. Same stuff they use to keep birds out of gardens. I put some wind blocker black material inside that to keep the wind down, its cold on open water in NC. Then I bought a bunch of raffia grass from jstern.com. They import the stuff and dye it different colors. I tie that to plastic mesh material.
In all I probably have about $350 in the whole setup. It takes about 3 minutes to set up and take down once the decoys are out of the boat.
I used to have it mounted on an all white 18ft flat bottom skiff and currently its mounted on a 17ft Atlantic Well Boat (it's currently for sale) and neither of the boats ever flared a bird. Happy Hunting.

Sky Sea Natural landscape Horizon Ocean

Sky Body of water Sea Ocean Water

Sea Vacation Tourism

Water transportation Vehicle Boat Watercraft River

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks nice. One tip if you’ve got a buddy with a drone is to fly over your setup and see how it looks from the air. Unfortunately, the square/box type blinds like that don’t work at all by the time the ducks make it down to FL. You have to blend in with natural terrain, which really limits your ability to be on the “X.”

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.