Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Fly-By-Night
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was in Forgotten Coast Fly Co. today, buying materials. I mentioned this place as a good source of material in another thread but thought it deserved it's own thread after my trip there today. I bought some of the nicest bucktail I've ever found, prices are on par with other stores the difference is in the size and quality. He does a good bit of the dying in-house.These things were huge. He stocks different grades for different style ties, I tend to look for wavy style fiber because I prefer Popovics' style flies, and these didn't disappoint. Also picked up some super nice Arctic Marble Fox tail, haven't had a chance to use it but I can already tell it's going to be awesome. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Disclaimer, I'm in no way affiliated with this shop, or receive anything for this post. Just turning people on to a small business with great material.

Included a full roll of paper towels for scale.
View attachment 3797 View attachment 3798 View attachment 3799 View attachment 3800 View attachment 3801
Happy Tying

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,275 Posts
Beautiful Stuff!

To me tho, the best bucktail and deerhair is the smallest packs (pieces) you can find! Sure, white is the most widely used. So it's not so bad having a whole white tail if you are cranking out a lot of flies, especially bucktail clousers, decievers and whatever else uses it. But if you only buy small pieces of the other colors, you'll be surprise how long they will last (years), the fact that you'll actually have room to store all of them and you'll have more money in your budget to get other materials. This comes from too many years as a recreational fly tier (non-commercial).

One other note, as the water temps cool down for the winter months, the fish will start slowing down and your presentation will need to be slower in order for them to react on the fly. This means they will have a longer look at them in clearer water. Due to that reason, I generally switch to a more translucent synthetic hair and material, like Ultra or Supreme hair for clousers and EP type fibers for minnow type patterns. The idea is not to slowly show them the whole cheeseburger, just a silhouette or hint of one. Get it? So your use of bucktail for the colder months with clearer water will dramatically decrease. Yet another reason why you want to buy it in small quantities and only buy it as you need it. So for me, I'm mostly useing up bucktail in the warmer months where the water is more cloudy, the weather is more cloudy and the fish are moving faster, so therefore you are stripping the fly in faster.

I have many colors in my deerhaih and bucktail (along with other fur and feathers) that I will never really use again, even with small packs of it, since I might find other materials or colors I like better. So be careful buying bulk (like whole tails), even in your dominate colors.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
91 Posts
I'm heading over there Sat.....Gonna be too damn cold for anything else !!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Those are indeed some nice bucktails, I have seen his work on Instagram as well...

In my opinion, finding good bucktails come down to your selection. Every shop is going to have its good and its bad bucktail , but its up to you about which one you take home

Thats at least what I think...

Flats

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,101 Posts
He has some good materials there for sure. The capes he gets from Evan at sidelininghillhackle are awesome.

I sold a dozen of my flies to his shop for the grand opening. I hope he does well.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,112 Posts
Beautiful Stuff!

To me tho, the best bucktail and deerhair is the smallest packs (pieces) you can find! Sure, white is the most widely used. So it's not so bad having a whole white tail if you are cranking out a lot of flies, especially bucktail clousers, decievers and whatever else uses it. But if you only buy small pieces of the other colors, you'll be surprise how long they will last (years), the fact that you'll actually have room to store all of them and you'll have more money in your budget to get other materials. This comes from too many years as a recreational fly tier (non-commercial).

One other note, as the water temps cool down for the winter months, the fish will start slowing down and your presentation will need to be slower in order for them to react on the fly. This means they will have a longer look at them in clearer water. Due to that reason, I generally switch to a more translucent synthetic hair and material, like Ultra or Supreme hair for clousers and EP type fibers for minnow type patterns. The idea is not to slowly show them the whole cheeseburger, just a silhouette or hint of one. Get it? So your use of bucktail for the colder months with clearer water will dramatically decrease. Yet another reason why you want to buy it in small quantities and only buy it as you need it. So for ,e, I'm mostly useing up bucktail in the warmer months where the water is more cloudy, the weather is more cloudy and the fish are moving faster, so therefore you are stripping the fly in faster.

I have many colors in it that I will never really use again, even with small packs of it, since I've found other materials or colors I like better. So be careful buying bulk (like whole tails), even in your dominate colors.
Great insight into what works and why... Thanks!

·
Small fish, Big tales
224 Posts
Just remember yankkes we gots mosquitos year round and zikka virus. Not to mention the other year round active vermin. With the heat comes the blood suckers.
True, the winter reprieve from the blood suckers is very nice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts