Best bait-lure (line color cont'd)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Brett, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Oho, you've done it now Whitesnooky! Best bait or lure?

Most effective lure - #1 - white or yellow bucktail - tipped with fresh shrimp
    covers the water column, top to bottom, catches everything large to small
    leaves a scent trail, work it fast for a blast, work it slow to be sneaky!
    hook sets in lips, rarely deep hooked.

Most adrenaline causing lure - any topwater that can walk-the-dog!
    this includes spooks-rebels-rapalas-yo-zuri-mirro-bagley...blah-blah-blah
    I use one in the waterways around my home with no hooks,
    early mornings and late afternoons from my canoe with
    ultralight tackle just to watch the blowups.
    3 to 5 strikes on 1 retrieve.
    Adrenaline kicks in and you're walking 6" above the deck! Yeah!

Most relaxing lure - any small streamer fly
    easy to work, small motions, for those days when
    being on the water is more important than catching,
    and you still want to look like you're doing something.
    Crimp the barb down and fish self release.
    (flyfishing is simply the worlds most complicated handline)

As to bait - live bait #1
    fresh dead bait #2
    fresh frozen #3
    frozen #4

Hey bait shops: If the legs or shell on frozen shrimp
    have turned black the only thing its good for
    is pinfish or catfish! Throw it out or grind it for chum!
    Fresh frozen shrimp are almost colorless

Surprisingly I found that shrimp Fishbites work well in NML
    No refrigeration and leftovers can be used next trip.

Balls in your court gentleman...

2. costefishnt

costefishnt Cost Efish'nt³

I gotta say that brett is a refreshing breath of knowledge and class with a bit of holy crap funny...

I gotta say...

x3 cept for the fly fishing. I only keep a fly rod on the boat to impress my stupid friends. i find it to be better left in the rod tubes as my frustration levels rise to unmentionable limits.

I would also like to add the trusty spoon into the mix. Gold is #1 and silver #2.

3. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

I left the spoon out because I've found that NML fish
    have probably seen too many, and turn away at
    the last second. Or could be I just don't have the retrieve right.

4. costefishnt

ahhh. Isee said the blind man.

the spoon. Old, trusty and tried. NML fish have seen every lure ever made, and I am quite positive I helped them see many of them.

I have a custom rod that was made only for spoons. I use this quite often however the spoon has a bit of a twist as opposed to the normal spoon. i use an exude rt slug as the trailer, and I work it like a jerk bait. works best at agitating a bite as opposed to a hunger bite. being I tend to tick off people on purpose, i figure why not do it to the fish too ;)

I also throw the traditional spoon as a search bait when teh water is dirty. If they dont hit it, at least I can detect their movement when they cant be seen. cheating? maybe, but it works.

5. Un-shore

Un-shore Well-Known Member

Ah, the secret is out! :cool:

6. deerfly

deerfly Opinicus iracibilus

here's my take...
    http://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1215259763/1#1

touche' Matt, this is a pretty succinct post from me eh? :)

7. MATT

MATT Well-Known Member

"brief yea I looked it up"

my bail bondsmen called and said I gotta layoff Deerfly or else....but he never said anything about Brett.

my goto bait is chatuse trout tout tip them if you got them...

8. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

I remember trout touts, we called 'em pinfish food  ;D

Remember: Don't serve it, unless ya like to eat it too!

This is so much fun it's like swapping insults with family!

9. deerfly

trout touts? Them's new fangled compared to the Mr. Twister tails. :)

Actually I can't quite remember when the trout touts came out, but I do remember we used to pinch off the tails of the 8" red Jelly worms to attach to jigs in the early 70's for snook fishing especially and the whole worm to liven up jigs for bouncing off the reefs for grouper and snapper.

When the twister tails came out we used them more on the small jigs since they had that wiggling action. Of course this was back when plug rods built especially for deep jigging were the rage too, 7" butt section. Still have one as a keep sake. :)

10. costefishnt

HOLY CRAP!!!!!

Trout Touts....man talk about a blast from the past. havent heard that in years. I too loved chartreuse TT's. Long before I owned my first gheenoe i would ride my bike down to Sand Point Inn here in titusville at night on weekends and summer. we would slay the trout from the lights. I would go home and get my butt whooped for not being home when the street lights would come on...man oh man...the good ol days.

11. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

If we're gonna dredge up antiques:

Spinanna's and Creek Chub Darters

the subsurface zara-spooks, snook candy

12. frank_v

frank_v Well-Known Member

my own $.02
    i loves the mirrolure suspending plugs, the catch 2000s and mirrodines have done me well

mike hakalas (sp?) willow spoons will also always have a place in my tackle box as well

13. deerfly

Sea Bee and Maverick swimming plug's, both snook favorites. I think you can still buy the Maverick's but I haven't seen an all silver Sea Bee for 25 years or so. red/white Baby Lucky is another good one

here's an interesting old lure link I found snooping around, you can see some of the favorites like the zara spooks haven't changed much in 67 years. :)

http://www.oldfishinglure.com/heddonlurecatalog1941.htm

14. costefishnt

I collect antique fishing gear. I have an old wooden spook, creek chubs and many more. I even have some old wooden lures, glass eyes never touched water. I thought I posted pics on here one time. I will do a search and if not I will get some fresh pics of the old gear and get them up here.

I will also add that a wooden top water has something more majestical about its movement than a new fangled plastic chinese made top water. just sayin.

I would love to sit with some of you old farts all together with a cold wobbly pop and just listen to your stories. Makes me miss my grandpa even more...not that yall are that old, but he loved to tell stories of fishing off shore and in the glades. we need to set up some sort of gathering were this can happen.

15. deerfly

I would love to see those lures for sure.

x2 on the throw back gathering, maybe the OCt rally would work. Everyone can bring what ever old lures they have and the guy with the best and largest collection has to buy the beer. :)

16. costefishnt

lol, trust me, there will be plenty of beer on the gheenoe, and in the truck for all to share. If more folks wanna do this I will bring some of the better portions of my collection. I am quite proud of it. regardless, I will get some fresh pics in the next couple of days and post them.,