Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been wanting to do this trip for a couple years now, and I'm planning for a trip this upcoming December/January (winter break). It would just me and my dad, no family to bring along... fishing only! My question is, what island do you guys recommend for 2 guys doing diy bone fishing? We are happy to have less shots if it means bigger fish, versus tons of action all day on schoolie fish. So far I've been thinking about Andros, but am completely open to suggestions...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I fly into Marsh Harbor and rent a center console and a house on Lubbers. And then I use the center console to get to flats that I can wade. In fact, my first ever bone was on a flat on Lubbers Quarters and I found a hand drawn map in the house that I rented with an arrow pointing to a flat that said, "bone fish." I took the center console over there on an incoming tide and was standing on the flat when the bones started moving onto the flat. Made a cast at 3 bones and the one in the back raced around the other 2 to hit my fly.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I fly into Marsh Harbor and rent a center console and a house on Lubbers. And then I use the center console to get to flats that I can wade. In fact, my first ever bone was on a flat on Lubbers Quarters and I found a hand drawn map in the house that I rented with an arrow pointing to a flat that said, "bone fish." I took the center console over there on an incoming tide and was standing on the flat when the bones started moving onto the flat. Made a cast at 3 bones and the one in the back raced around the other 2 to hit my fly.
You never forget your first

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is true, I remember catching my first bonefish as if it were yesterday...

Have heard great things about Abaco, and more specifically the Marls. Are they accessible by foot, or is a boat/guide needed? Not planning on hiring a guide (for now).

Never been to the Bahamas so this is all new to me!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I

Have heard great things about Abaco, and more specifically the Marls. Are they accessible by foot, or is a boat/guide needed? Not planning on hiring a guide (for now).

I am not sure if the Marls are accessible by foot. But I know you can drive down to Cherokee sound and wade there.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,496 Posts
I fished for bones and permit years ago on the Yucatan peninsula. Cancun and Cosomel
Caught a bunch but that was in the 80's so i dont know what its like now

Reactions: nautilott

·
Registered
246 Posts
Abaco in the winter can be lights out for larger models depending on the weather. I personally would not consider the Marls a place where you'll get a shot at a double-digit fish nor do I know of any areas you can easily wade out(not to say there aren't though).

Spent 4 months down there a couple years back and can provide you with some intel if you want to shoot me a DM.

G

·
0 Posts
6D3ED138-56BC-434E-A1FA-9613E2DE98AA.jpeg
Went to Abaco back in May and my son (in photo) and I fished a different flat (self-guided) every day for five days. Cherokee Sound is beautiful and the only flat where we saw fish (3-4). That was it; 3-4 fish for five days. Our last day we went with a guide from Abaco Lodge out to the Marls and slayed ‘em.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hoping to get similar information. Going on a family trip down to the Bahamas for spring break and trying to go to an island with wadable DIY bone fishing from the island. Looking on google earth doesn't show much for wadable flats on the islands.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
378 Posts
Anyone ever fish in Eluthera?
I caught my first bonefish in Eleuthera back in 1980 and fished there every two years or so till the late nineties, then did not go back till 2010, things changed, Eleuthera bones got educated, the geography lends itself to DIY and the pressure got heavy, so if you want to be challenged by fish that have seen just about everything go to Eleuthera. Not to say it’s not a great place to go, but don’t get your expectations up about catching a lot of fish, there are some legendary flats there like Savannah Sound or the flats at the north end of the island where you’ll see a lot of fish, but bring your A game if you want to catch them.
JC

·
I Love microskiff.com!
378 Posts
As an addendum, there was a post to get in touch with Vince at CCO, that’s probably the best place to start, I’m booked with him for Acklins in April, it’ll be my second trip there, it’s a place that’s NOT spoiled but a pain to get to.
JC

Reactions: nautilott
G

·
0 Posts
Hoping to get similar information. Going on a family trip down to the Bahamas for spring break and trying to go to an island with wadable DIY bone fishing from the island. Looking on google earth doesn't show much for wadable flats on the islands.
There are tons of wadable flats on Abaco. I think we just hit it after a spell of bad weather and the fish had gone to deeper water for several days. I had a Google Map with all of the flats located on it, but unfortunately I deleted it about 3 days ago. I’ll email the manager of Abaco Lodge and get the names and locations of them and post them here shortly.

G

·
0 Posts

The Marls are not really accessible on foot. Plus, I think they’re about 10 times the size of Manhatten, so that would be a big ol’ place to try to cover.

·
Registered
200 Posts
There are tons of wadable flats on Abaco. I think we just hit it after a spell of bad weather and the fish had gone to deeper water for several days. I had a Google Map with all of the flats located on it, but unfortunately I deleted it about 3 days ago. I’ll email the manager of Abaco Lodge and get the names and locations of them and post them here shortly.
I'll look into Abaco thanks!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts