Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to pick up a new 9w before my annual trip to NOLA this fall. I’d like to stay at $500 or less. What’s everyone opinion.

·
Registered
391 Posts
i really like my TFO BVK, it compares very favorably to more expensive rods. Break it and they will fix or replace it for $35.
I'm anxious to try out the new TFO Axiom II X, heard good things, but the BVK is a great rod. I also love the TFO Mangrove in a 9.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,244 Posts
BVK is great up to 8 wt., 9 and up I get Axiom or Mangrove in TFO.

·
Registered
975 Posts
You'll get a lot of different answers. All great choices. You really need to cast the rod with the line and load you'll use to know which one will blow your dress up. That's the key to true happiness.......

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'd guess Scott is probably going to clear out the remaining Meridian stock over the next few months as they start delivering Sectors. Not sure if they'll dip below $500 but I'd bet they'll come close and the #9 Meridian is a wonderful stick.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I'd guess Scott is probably going to clear out the remaining Meridian stock over the next few months as they start delivering Sectors. Not sure if they'll dip below $500 but I'd bet they'll come close and the #9 Meridian is a wonderful stick.
When they introduced the meridian they sold all the s4s for $200 a piece so meridians might get down below $500

·
I Love microskiff.com!
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I’ve fished the 8w Meridian. Great rods! I’ll keep an eye out for the price drop. Any idea when that’ll happen?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm a great believer in the 2nd hand rod market.....infact I think if no fly rods were made today we would still have enough great rods to last us a hundred years....but thats another story. At $500 the choice is endless, Sage, Scott, Loomis, Redington all made great rods in the past that to me are still great rods today. I still use old Rplx and Scott sts rods ive had 20yrs plus. Redington made some great fly rods that seem to have been forgotten. If you want new and a warranty then yes the TFO rods are good value.......but some of those old rods leave them standing.
I’m not opposed to a second hand rod. My current 8w is a RPLX that I sent back to Sage and they replaced in ‘19. I may have a lead on a demo X or Igniter that’ll fit in the budget.

·
Registered
318 Posts
8 wt NRX is on sale at Trident Fly Fishing.

Maybe you can find a similar deal on a 9 wt elsewhere.
ughhhhh why did I have to read this!! lol

Reactions: Davo406
1 - 20 of 41 Posts