Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have researched and checked on many forums but all information was 8 years old. Can you guys give your opinions on what 40hp Outboard Tiller is best for a 16' skiff hull under 400lbs. I'm on the wait-list for the SM Heron and want some insight on what you guys think. I prefer holeshot rather than speed I know this depends as well on the proper prop.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I wish they would revamp the etecs, as I have had really good experiences with them. They need to redesign the lower unit and mid-section on the 40, 50 and 60. In my opinion, that is what makes these models a lot heavier than they need to be. That and offer them in a short shaft.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
167 Posts
If you’re going new look at Suzuki or the Tohatsu. I picked up a mint yamaha 50 two stroke for my heron and I think it’s one of the best motors for the setup.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What did SM suggest? They are pretty knowledgeable. They steered me toward the tohatsu.
They recommend the Tohatsu. I have always been confident of Yamaha but wanted to see what everyone has to say.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you’re going new look at Suzuki or the Tohatsu. I picked up a mint yamaha 50 two stroke for my heron and I think it’s one of the best motors for the setup.
Is your heron tiller or remote? Is your Yamaha a 2 stroke or 4? i would love to see your setup in a pic.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have been reading up on the new Suzuki tiller motors- I am looking at the 30hp. With power tilt/trim and elect start- they appear to be the lightest weight in their class - around 165lbs. It would be hard to go wrong with a Suzuki, Tohatsu or Yamaha in my opinion.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,610 Posts
Most modern outboards are all pretty reliable. The differing options/weights/resale value is what sets them apart IMO. For example, the Mercurys have the all in one tiller handle that changes from F to N to R with the twist of the throttle handle, tohatsus come in short shaft up to 50hp?, prop selection limitations for the Suzuki, etc.

Just don't go buying some Franken-motor like the Neptune

If you are considering the 40hp tiller Tohatsu (EFI), why not get the 50? Its the same weight at 209#

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
If you want hole shot go with the Tohatsu tldi or any 2 stroke for that matter. They get up and go! I have the yami 4 stroke 40 on a SUV 17 and had the Tohatsu tldi 40 on a gen 1 copperhead. We ran them together several times and the top speed was the same on both boats but the hole shot wasn't even comparable!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,610 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,610 Posts

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,317 Posts
I didn't even check the weight after that sticker shock. :eek:

Guessing the hole shot ain't all that spectacular, either.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I remember a time when we were all calling the Japanese stuff junk. They learned well about quality assurance. I know the guy who owns Mudhole. He imports a lot of stuff from China. He says they will build whatever you request and want to pay for. In his opinion if you ask them to build a Stella they can do it. It just costs more.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts