Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I just purchased a scepter 3 gallon tank from West Marine. Damn thing realistically only holds 2- 2.5 gallons.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I bought my 3 gallon tank at Academy Sports. I have had it for 8 months and no complaints. In the sun it has not ballooned on me but if I think about it I put a throw cushion over it. I use the tank on a 12' boat. I got the hose, primer bulb and connections from a marine store, this way I could make the hose to the length I wanted and had better quality components over the pre-made ones at the store and half the cost of a OEM fuel line.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
The scepter 3 gallon tank from West Marine ballooned on me today as it got warm. Cross that one off the list.
Do they not make a tank that vents to relieve pressure? Guessing this is the same sort of bullshit they have done to portable gas cans with their no leak valves that are impossible to use.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
595 Posts
The scepter 3 gallon tank from West Marine ballooned on me today as it got warm. Cross that one off the list.
Do they not make a tank that vents to relieve pressure? Guessing this is the same sort of bullshit they have done to portable gas cans with their no leak valves that are impossible to use.
Nope. You can thank the EPA, who redesigned gas cans to avoid venting any vapors while ensuring you spill half the gas on the ground.

The new tank caps have a white check valve that lets air in but not out. You can punch it out which will keep it from ballooning, but from my experience it keeps the tank from getting enough air in to flow freely.

The solution would be either cracking the cap half a turn while running or drilling the vent out.

O

·
0 Posts
Thank our government and the lawyers
it surprises that fuel tanks are even made.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,609 Posts
By the way, I told myself for over a year now that I wouldn't trash this company until I gave them a chance to fix it; but, a SeaSense Tank I bought (6gal) started leaking on a weird seam. I contacted their customer service and was told that it was a known issue and that they would send me a replacement. I tried to contact then a few more times in the last year but have never gotten a response after their initial stance that they would replace it shortly... here are some photos of the tank leaking
IMG_2031.JPG
IMG_2032.JPG

1 - 20 of 20 Posts