Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Any tips on keeping humidity down in this tent? I am putting tarps down to kill grass and approaching fall shouldn’t help. Any ST fixes?

CNC came in thanks to @jglidden. Josh went aboveand beyond to answer question, create the rounded transom and even a deck mold. Hit him up when you’re ready to build. I used him to save time and frustration.

I support a lot of local breweries when I can. Y’all we see a few Cville beers from time to time. Rolling rock was 50% off and that’s what by buddy bought. Beggars can’t be choosers I guess . I throw is some wheats and heffs soon before the summer is over. @Copahee Hound Cooper River is really good. I’ll try to pick some up when I am there next. My GF lives that way so I might make a trip.

PS - all drinking is done after building. Drinking and power tools never mix.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Any tips on keeping humidity down in this tent? I am putting tarps down to kill grass and approaching fall shouldn’t help. Any ST fixes?
Might want to vent the top/roof of your structure.
Cut s 3" slit and then you will have to suspend another tarp over the OEM structure.
This should help w/the humidity/letting air flow and the tarps on the ground will help as well if that are not outside of the OEM structure to collect dew etc.

CNC came in thanks to @jglidden. Josh went aboveand beyond to answer question, create the rounded transom and even a deck mold. Hit him up when you’re ready to build. I used him to save time and frustration.
Was the deck mold extra cost?
Looking good so far.
Great job.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
What do you think the weight of this boat is gonna be (ballpark)?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
@Rollbar yes the deck is a little extra. I don't know my deck layout yet so may or may not do it. Josh sent me a custom rendering and could cut it out. I'll try some PVC pipes to vent. That's a good idea to vent it with a hole. I am going to try to get total weight around 600-650. One rear and one forward hatch. I'm thinking tall side console so I can stand and ride while keeping cockpit open. Super simple otherwise. A yeti can fit in the back hatch due to depth and I plan to use that if I ever want to keep fish or something.

Eventual additions:
rigging - steering, wires, etc.
motor - Suzuki 60hp or Tohatsu 60hp
side console
~20 gallon aluminum tank
GPS maybe - I used a Garmin but open to other options
Minn Kota up from - 55 or 70 - havent decided
push pole - TFO 24'
poling platform
trailer

If anyone has a guy or an opinion of buying any of the above, let me know in a PM.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Strong back officially completed and stations are up. I’ll finish all jig stuff this week and start foaming when it’s not raining.

Tips so far:
The important pieces of the strong back are spacing and being level. Other pieces aren’t too important.
Put the stations together all at one time. so set the strong-back then place the stations then attach the keel.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Looking good.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
@Pole Position let me know how to do that. I don’t know how.

Transom and forms are on! I didn’t do form E just cut custom pieces. Looking back. I would have done what Chris Morejohn did and lined them up with the chines and cut two verticals. I lined up the top vertical piece with the chine like so it will be a straight line. I want to make sure they are pretty close to perfect and I’ll foam later this week. Realistically, I can fix everything with fairing, but I’d like to eliminate as much as possible

If anyone has tips on foam let me know. Also, what should I do with the cut out MD board?

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Just ask @anytide to move it, not sure if it’s possible but believe it is when you have the magic wand!

Reactions: VANMflyfishing

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I'll probably sell everything left over (forms, resin, glass, etc.) at a deep discount and donate a portion of the money to a charity I support - Waypoint Vets. I will hopefully pop the hull by the end of Sept. So, if anyone is interested in the stations, just let me know in a PM. First come first serve. I am located in Charlotte, NC, but I frequent SC, NC coast, and Virginia and I will be willing to put them on a pallet for you. @Rollbar did say he was interested, but not 100% yet. So, @HenryTinSkiff just let me know.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
First come first serve my bad rollbar.
No worries, If he is ready to pull and you are closer to building than I am, then it's all yours.
IF you get rid of them, then I'm up first.
Thanks,

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Slow going with rain the past week and traveling this week. I used cardboard to make a template, cut one side for the foam, fit it on one side and cut out the other side s musings it as a template. I and sanding down the sides so it a tight fit. I forgot to add some wax to the tape and went back to add one layer of release wax. Some say it’s not needed and others say it is. So might as well do it. I’ll be cutting the chines and using 3-1/2” strips everywhere else. I definitely want to touch up the foam to eliminate low spots. The is one on the bow. Maybe the foam is touching the sheer form and putting pressure causing a small curve.

I’m putting short videos on the Instagram - smoothangler_beryllium_17.5

61 - 80 of 101 Posts