Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting the process...finally. My name is Alex and live in Charlotte, NC. The build will be taking place in a shelter logic tent since I don't have a garage.

Josh Glidden was able to configure the round transom in the CNC cutout. I ordered materials from US Composites. I ordered 100 yards of basalt from Sundaglass.com. Materials are being shipped now!

So, I am newish to Microskiff. What would be most helpful in this thread: log similar to Chris's, materials ordered, pictures of process, etc?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Awesome! Can’t wait to follow the Beryllium is awesome. Basically post everything that goes on with the boat and I’ll be happy. Divinycell core?

·
Brandon, FL
9,282 Posts
The most helpful would be documentation. Pictures and narrative.

Welcome to the forum.

Way to go @jglidden

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So, I have received a message regarding purchasing plans. Use the info below.

Skiff designs comparisons, plans costs - email Nathan to purchase plans - [email protected]

Nathan has all plans to purchase and will send you CNC files if you chose to go that route. As a heads up, I ordered from Josh Glidden (@jglidden) on this site. He did some custom stuff for me and can customize a deck if needed too. Top notch communication and stations are being shipped now. He created a round transom for me versus using the square transom. The plans for the 17.5 and 16 don't include the round transom. So, the CNC will save time and improve accuracy in the building process...fingers crossed. I don't want to sound redundant, but Josh went above and beyond to created plans and answer my questions. I'll log setting up the jig in the next post.

@HenryTinSkiff - I will be using PVC60 from CarbonCore. My parents live in Charlottesville, Va and I can pick up local while visiting them. PVC60 has similar characteristics to PE80 and Divinycell. I think someone used PVC60 on their boat and it worked out well. From what I can tell, the foam isn't that big of an issue other then thickness and choosing one of the three at a price point. I think Chris used Divinycell, but I don't have a history of working with one or the other like Chris...so no baseline. PVC60 is readily available too.

I am driving back to Charlotte tomorrow and will take an inventory picture/write a few notes on ordering materials and setting up the jig/stations. I'll probably add a few youtube videos eventually.

·
Registered
136 Posts

Skiff designs comparisons, plans costs - email Nathan to purchase plans - [email protected]

Nathan has all plans to purchase and will send you CNC files if you chose to go that route. As a heads up, I ordered from Josh Glidden (@jglidden) on this site. He did some custom stuff for me and can customize a deck if needed too. Top notch communication and stations are being shipped now. He created a round transom for me versus using the square transom. The plans for the 17.5 and 16 don't include the round transom. So, the CNC will save time and improve accuracy in the building process...fingers crossed. I don't want to sound redundant, but Josh went above and beyond to created plans and answer my questions. I'll log setting up the jig in the next post.

@HenryTinSkiff - I will be using PVC60 from CarbonCore. My parents live in Charlottesville, Va and I can pick up local while visiting them. PVC60 has similar characteristics to PE80 and Divinycell. I think someone used PVC60 on their boat and it worked out well. From what I can tell, the foam isn't that big of an issue other then thickness and choosing one of the three at a price point. I think Chris used Divinycell, but I don't have a history of working with one or the other like Chris...so no baseline. PVC60 is readily available too.

I am driving back to Charlotte tomorrow and will take an inventory picture/write a few notes on ordering materials and setting up the jig/stations. I'll probably add a few youtube videos eventually.
Can’t wait. I may be in Charlottesville soon.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts

Thanks for the information.
Great job!

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Ok, I’m following...

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Be careful with that Carbon Core. I am currently fairing a hull with 3 different thicknesses (from the same case) on it. Major understatement to say their quality control sucks.

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Be careful with that Carbon Core. I am currently fairing a hull with 3 different thicknesses (from the same case) on it. Major understatement to say their quality control sucks.
Interesting. I’ve used IDK how many cases and have not had this issue.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@trekker That is what Tommy said...he said he had hired a new packing guy who messed up one order. One of the perks of picking it up in person is I inspected every sheet prior to them packing it. CarbonCore wasn't my favorite people to buy from, but not the worst so far. The US composite people were great!

As a heads up, Chris mentioned Nick at smart builders will give you a deal on the basalt...not true anymore. They are now $629 per 50/yard roll for 350. I used sundaglass.com for basalt and saved $100. Not a huge savings, but my buying experience was better with sundaglass.com (James).

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
@trekker That is what Tommy said...he said he had hired a new packing guy who messed up one order. One of the perks of picking it up in person is I inspected every sheet prior to them packing it. CarbonCore wasn't my favorite people to buy from, but not the worst so far. The US composite people were great!

As a heads up, Chris mentioned Nick at smart builders will give you a deal on the basalt...not true anymore. They are now $629 per 50/yard roll for 350. I used sundaglass.com for basalt and saved $100. Not a huge savings, but my buying experience was better with sundaglass.com (James).
Musta been 2 orders. The fella who built the Captive skiff had the same issue. Regardless, glad to see another Bery being built. Look forward to following.

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts

Yeah, I think “smart builders’” pricing is all over the place myself! I will be using sundaglass for basalt should I decide to use it for the outer skin on my next build! I buy my carbon core from my supplier in Tampa cheaper than CC sells it for so haven’t really dealt directly with them much bug have had great luck with their product to date.

Reactions: HenryTinSkiff

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,591 Posts
I used PVC60 in my build and didn't have any issues with varying thicknesses.

If you are building outside, make sure you are careful where you store your PVC -- it will degrade with UV exposure. Not sure to what extent and how long it would take, but probably not worth taking any chances.

Look forward to seeing the progress.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Yeah, I think “smart builders’” pricing is all over the place myself! I will be using sundaglass for basalt should I decide to use it for the outer skin on my next build! I buy my carbon core from my supplier in Tampa cheaper than CC sells it for so haven’t really dealt directly with them much bug have had great luck with their product to date.
@JC Designs Who's your supplier in Tampa?

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
@JC Designs Who's your supplier in Tampa?
Jesus at Fiberglass discount store. Great guy, stocks quite a bit of the standard goodies and can order pretty much anything for you. Small business, big service kinda guy that’s been in the industry a long time!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Current running total of materials. Building the jig this week. I'll post some pics. I am going to make a Lowe's trip for that. I have enough glass, core, but will need to order more poly. It has a 3 month shelf life unlike epoxy. Could save money if you have tools, don't do CNC, and don't use basalt. I think CNC is worth it for time, accuracy and resale value if I run out of kidneys and have to sell the boat. Basalt for long term abuse. I'll be doing a basalt deck too in addition to outside for the hull.
ItemSourceNotesTotalUnitsPrice Per UnitShipping&Tax
Needed
PlansNathan $ 350.00
PVC 60Carbon CoreLocal Pickup $1,110.92
10​
$ 105.50 $ 55.92
Basalt Cloth (350 grams 50 yard roll)SundaglassShipped $1,284.66
2​
$ 572.50 $ 139.66
Cabosil - 10lbUS CompositesShipped $ 67.00
1​
$ 67.00
Q-Cell - 32lbUS CompositesShipped $ 80.00
1​
$ 80.00
10oz glass 125 yardsUS CompositesShipped $ 700.00
125​
$ 5.60
Peel PlyUS CompositesShipped $ 22.00
4​
$ 5.50
1.5oz mat 80 yardsUS CompositesShipped $ 185.00
1​
$ 185.00
Mold releaseUS CompositesShipped $ 11.45
1​
$ 11.45
Plasteline Klay 2lbUS CompositesShipped $ 8.00
1​
$ 8.00
32 oz mixing tubeUS CompositesShipped $ 17.50
25​
$ 0.70
2" brush - 24US CompositesShipped $ 12.25
1​
$ 12.25
4" roller frameUS CompositesShipped $ 21.60
8​
$ 2.70
4" white glasskoter covers - 36US CompositesShipped $ 52.25
1​
$ 52.25
Stir sticks - 50US CompositesShipped $ 4.25
1​
$ 4.25
5/8" x 4" detail rollerUS CompositesShipped $ 31.00
4​
$ 7.75
4" squeegees - 25US CompositesShipped $ 10.00
1​
$ 10.00
10" shearsUS CompositesShipped $ 31.25
1​
$ 31.25
Power mixerUS CompositesShipped $ 6.95
1​
$ 6.95
435 standard poly - 5 gallonUS CompositesShipped $ 553.45
3​
$ 128.00 $ 169.45
Optional
Shelter LogicFacebook $ 180.00
CNCJosh Glidden $ 835.00
Drill, Saw, Jig SawFacebook $ 80.00
Total $5,654.53

·
Registered
136 Posts
Current running total of materials. Building the jig this week. I'll post some pics. I am going to make a Lowe's trip for that. I have enough glass, core, but will need to order more poly. It has a 3 month shelf life unlike epoxy. Could save money if you have tools, don't do CNC, and don't use basalt. I think CNC is worth it for time, accuracy and resale value if I run out of kidneys and have to sell the boat. Basalt for long term abuse. I'll be doing a basalt deck too in addition to outside for the hull.
ItemSourceNotesTotalUnitsPrice Per UnitShipping&Tax
Needed
PlansNathan$ 350.00
PVC 60Carbon CoreLocal Pickup$1,110.92
10​
$ 105.50$ 55.92
Basalt Cloth (350 grams 50 yard roll)SundaglassShipped$1,284.66
2​
$ 572.50$ 139.66
Cabosil - 10lbUS CompositesShipped$ 67.00
1​
$ 67.00
Q-Cell - 32lbUS CompositesShipped$ 80.00
1​
$ 80.00
10oz glass 125 yardsUS CompositesShipped$ 700.00
125​
$ 5.60
Peel PlyUS CompositesShipped$ 22.00
4​
$ 5.50
1.5oz mat 80 yardsUS CompositesShipped$ 185.00
1​
$ 185.00
Mold releaseUS CompositesShipped$ 11.45
1​
$ 11.45
Plasteline Klay 2lbUS CompositesShipped$ 8.00
1​
$ 8.00
32 oz mixing tubeUS CompositesShipped$ 17.50
25​
$ 0.70
2" brush - 24US CompositesShipped$ 12.25
1​
$ 12.25
4" roller frameUS CompositesShipped$ 21.60
8​
$ 2.70
4" white glasskoter covers - 36US CompositesShipped$ 52.25
1​
$ 52.25
Stir sticks - 50US CompositesShipped$ 4.25
1​
$ 4.25
5/8" x 4" detail rollerUS CompositesShipped$ 31.00
4​
$ 7.75
4" squeegees - 25US CompositesShipped$ 10.00
1​
$ 10.00
10" shearsUS CompositesShipped$ 31.25
1​
$ 31.25
Power mixerUS CompositesShipped$ 6.95
1​
$ 6.95
435 standard poly - 5 gallonUS CompositesShipped$ 553.45
3​
$ 128.00$ 169.45
Optional
Shelter LogicFacebook$ 180.00
CNCJosh Glidden$ 835.00
Drill, Saw, Jig SawFacebook$ 80.00
Total$5,654.53

This is a great thing to see. When I do my build I now know something I can reference to for budgeting.

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
@HenryTinSkiff I will update over time too; so, there is a running total of hull materials, rigging, motor, beer for the crew, ballpark hours, etc.
The beer is where it get expensive!
And that brings me to the pro tip of the week: One must always make certain that the work portion of the day is completed before beer distribution begins!

This phrase copyrighted by James CurryDesigns and is not to be sold or distributed in any way... F-That, ya’ll have fun! 😎

1 - 20 of 56 Posts